New Discussion юеВ

Re: Environment variables for custom tools SIM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Barrelet

Environment variables for custom tools SIM

Hello,

Environment SIM Insight manager 5.3 SP3

When we receive an Alert trap from a server (example a hardrive failure) we want to execute a script to put this Alert in a database.

So we have to use the custom tools SIM, we create our script and try to find the variable corresponding to the trap Alarm to pass in argument, but we didn't find the variable with the description trap inside. We found the server name, IP, MAC, Level of Alarm...

Anyone... a solution?

Best regards

Jerome

4 REPLIES 4
Markus M.
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jerome,

I don├В┬┤t really understand the need for your script, because all your traps are already saved in the CMS database..

Can you explain a bit more what you want to acieve?

regards
Markus
Barrelet

Hi Markus,

I need to retrieve the crtical trap description from the servers to insert in a different database (a call center).

The informations that I need to insert in my database call center are:

Servername: (SNMP) Cluster Resource Degraded (15005):

When a server send a TRAP, I execute a CMS tool with a VBscript and I pass the CMS arguments to retrieve my Trap server information

c:\scripts\Alarming_test.vbs %%devicename%% %%SpecificTrapID%%

but I can't find the variable argument to retrieve the inforamtion : 'Cluster Resource Degraded'

I hope it's clear. Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Jerome
Markus M.
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Jerome,

i am sorry, but imo, this will not work with HP SIM own capabilities.

The problem is, that the description you need is based on an OID, which is defined in the corresponding MIB file and "translated" everytime you receive a trap.

So, imo, one way to achieve your request is to forward the trap to a third party mib receiver which can create a useable output.

The second solution and more usable you should try is to create a event handler which gives you an html output; based on this you can create a vb/php whatever script, which insterts the necessary data into your call center database.

Hope this brings you closer to a solution.

kind regards
Markus
Barrelet

Hi Markus,

Thanks you very much for your answer, It's more clear now.

And you give me a idea to complete my task.

Thanks

Kind regards

jerome