8428 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error in Property Page from Linux systems

Andreas F.
Occasional Advisor

Error in Property Page from Linux systems

Hi all,

I updated my existing SIM 5.1 installation with the new 5.2 version (march edition). This process was succesful. The CMS runs on Win2k3 R2 (with SP2). I have mostly Windows clients and some Linux clients with OpenPegasus 2.6.x installed.
If I try to use the property page (from the System register), I got the following message:

-->
Property Pages are unavailable for this managed system.

Cause: Property Pages may not be defined for this Operating System type or the system may be acting as a WBEM storage proxy and has not had the native CIMOM identified.

Resolution: Check the SIM release notes for supported operating systems. For systems running as a storage proxy, enter credentials for the native (non-proxy) WBEM CIMOM on this managed system and re-identify the system.
<--

I checked the suggested resolution, but without success (the credentials are correct). This behavior occours only on new discoverd systems, which are added after the HPSIM 5.2 update.
Linux systems, which are added with 5.1, are accessible and the property page displays all WBEM related information.

The 'Identify Systems' Task have some problems too (no matter if its a new system or an old one):

-->
Checking for WBEM support on system.
This system has WBEM protocol support
This system does not have any SMI-S CIMOM installed
This system doesn┬┤t have a server CIMOM installed locally, or cannot connect to it using all credentials specified
Running WBEM rules based identification.
Cannot get ComputerSystem WBEM/WMI data from the system
<--

What's wrong? Please point me the right way to solve this problem.
Thanks in advance
Andreas
8 REPLIES 8
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Andreas:

If these are ProLiant servers, there is no information instrumented in WBEM on Linux, only SNMP. Therefore, there shouldn't be any info available at all there for you to use.

The question is why the error. The snippet of the log you posted is from the Identification process where HP SIM attempts to find out what protocols can be used to communicate with the server. You're getting 'yes' to WBEM, but 'no' to SMI-S CIMOM (storage) and 'no' to a server CIMOM. I'm going to make a guess and say that we are incorrectly using some terms. I believe that the condition you have could be caused by having a CIMOM such as OpenPegasus or OpenWBEM installed but no providers configured to supply information to them. If my guess is correct, the correct terminology would be to say 'yes' to a CIMOM and then report no SMI-S providers and no server providers.

Check for the presence of OpenPegasus or OpenWBEM RPMs on your systems and de-install them if you don't have a purpose for them. If you are using some non-ProLiant management that uses them, then the information HP SIM is providing is correct. It's identifying the presence of a CIMOM but then the CIMOM doesn't have any data useful to HP SIM.
Andreas F.
Occasional Advisor

Hi David,

thanks for your response.
From my point of view, the property page error is a result from the failed identify process (esp. 'Cannot get ComputerSystem WBEM/WMI data from the system'). The system does have some basic providers installed (i.e. for instances of PG_ComputerSystem and PG_OperatingSystem). I can browse the instances with external programs like ECUTE CIM Explorer.

I installed the old 5.1 version of HPSIM on a different machine today and checked the discovery process on this version. Here are the part from the log file (identifying the same linux client):

--> LOG snippet from HPSIM 5.1 <--
Checking for WBEM support on system.
This system has WBEM protocol support
This system does not have any SMI-S CIMOM installed
This system has a server CIMOM installed
Running WBEM rules based identification.
Got ComputerSystem WBEM/WMI data from the system
<--

After identifying the system, the property page from HPSIM 5.1 shows some basic information from the CIMOM as expected.

In summary: It seems that the 'native' OpenPegasus CIMOM does not supported anymore in HPSIM 5.2. Can you confirm that?
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

I am sorry, perhaps I missed it in your post - what kind of hardware is the server running Linux? Is it an Integrity (IPF) or a Proliant type system?

Thanks,

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Andreas F.
Occasional Advisor

The system from which log log snippets came, is a ProLiant system - but we use other Non-HP hardware too. On each Linux system is OpenPegasus 2.6.x as CIMOM installed (with the standard providers). The result is the same:
HPSIM 5.2: The WBEM protocol was identified, but no ComputerSystem WBEM data determined.
HPSIM 5.1: Everything is OK

May be I should return to version 5.1...
Andreas
Andreas F.
Occasional Advisor

Problem solved. I wrote my own provider for OpenPegasus, which reports the WBEM class HP_ComputerSystem.
It seems that the discovery process of HPSIM5.2 was changed(and of course the 'Identify Systemss' task).
The OpenPegasus built-in class PG_ComputerSystem will not be discovered anymore as in 5.1 (in other words no support for native OpenPegasus CIMOMs without providers from HP...)

Andreas
Andreas F.
Occasional Advisor

See above.
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

hi andreas,

may i request you to post the provider information for OpenPegasus that you wrote. might be helpful to the community

regards,

/srh
Andreas F.
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
my solution wotks only for HPSIM 5.2 February release, because the discovery/identifying process was changed again in the latest release (SP1) - in other words the solution is outdated.
It seems the property page feature (for Linux systems) supports only Linux systems on Integrity hardware with HP providers installed.

On HPSIM 5.2 with SP1 I got nearly the same error message even if my provider is installed (I am running my Linux on Non-Integrity hardware).

Andreas