3156 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Event Handling Tasks ad Email

Victor G
Advisor

Event Handling Tasks ad Email

Hi,

I have created several Event Handling tasks to email a mailbox. Critical Events are always emailed, but no email seems to be generated for Major and Minor events.
I have created seperate Event Handling tasks for Major and Minor events as well as one for all events, but it still won't play.

HP SIM will show a Major or Minor Event has occurred for the device ( eg power supply not redundnat ) but no email.
Any suggestions ?

Also if the status does change from a green tick to a orange exclamation, does this mean SNMP is working ?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Victor G
Advisor

Victor G
Advisor

Although the health status of the server does show a degredation in HP SIM there is no Event registered in the Events for that server 9 in HP SIM )

Does this suggest that HP SIM is polling that server rather than the server sending a trap to HP SIM ?
Victor G
Advisor

Ok, after alot of troubleshooting I found that other Programs were using the SNMP listener port 162.

I ended up disabling the programs and made sure that the Windows SNMP trap service was the process listening on port 162.

I can send test traps from monitored servers but they don't seem to get to SIM or SIM is ignoring them.
I can confirm that the test traps are getting to the Monitoring server as when I configure Whats UP Gold to listen on port 162 then traps appear in Whats up Trap log.

When I switch back to letting the Windows Trap Service listen on port 162, which is configured to forward the traps to SIM I get nothing appearing in SIM.

Any suggestions appretiated.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

As far as I'm aware HPSIM just uses the standard snmp listener. There's no configuration to do.

As part of the snmp configuration on the HPSIM server I always set "Allow All Hosts" for the community name that I use in the HPSIM communications.

If you have Windows Servers there's a nice option as part of the HP Management Agents GUI that send a trap to the HPSIM Server taht should generate a Major Event.

If HPSIM Polls and finds the SMH reporting an issue (e.g. loss of redundant PS) then it will change the HW flag.
To check if snmp traps have arrived you'll want to look at the Events for that server.
Victor G
Advisor

Thanks Rob.
I can confirm that the test traps are gettting to the server running HP SIM. I'm runnng a utilty which shows the traps sent to port 162, and the test traps are showing up.

Problem is they don't show up as a major event in HP SIM, hence I cannot trigger an email event.

I can't understand why not.

I have selected the tick box "Accept any SNMP Packet from any host"
Victor G
Advisor

Got it working now.

Had to restart the "HP Systems Insight Manager Service" and events came flooding through, including the test traps.

Victor G
Advisor

see last post