1752802 Members
5714 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Event notification for HW health status changes

Jack Gryn
Occasional Advisor

Event notification for HW health status changes

I setup a task to e-mail me on all alerts on any of our servers (to distinguish from desktops). We tested the system by simulating a drive failure (pulling a drive on RAID on one of our non-critical machines).

I could clearly see on the list of servers that the system had a "Minor" issue of health status (pointing to the RAID drive missing / rebuilding).

For whatever reason, this health status change has not showed up as an event under "All Events", and as a result, I was not e-mailed.

How can setup SIM to notify me of these HW status changes?
12 REPLIES 12
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Configuring Email Settings

Configuring e-mail settings enables users to receive e-mail notification of certain events.

To configure e-mail settings:

Access the SMTP host and CMS e-mail settings through the First Time Wizard, or choose OptionsEventsAutomatic Event HandlingE-mail Settings. The E-mail Settings page appears.

Specify the SMTP host in the SMTP host box.

Specify the e-mail address that the management server will use when sending e-mail notifications in the Sender's email address box.

To authenticate your SMTP server, select Server Requires Authentication.

Enter the account name in Account name box.

Enter the password in the Password box.

If you are using the First Time Wizard, click Next to go to the next step. If you are using the HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) GUI, click OK to save changes.

Jack Gryn
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I am already getting e-mail alerts, just for whatever reason, not for these Health Status changes.

This event does not even show up under "All Events"; so I don't think it's an e-mail issue.
Jack Gryn
Occasional Advisor

Maybe I should ask, does HP SIM support HW health notifications at all?
Don Bitters
Advisor

The events tab is only populated, if on the systems being monitored has SMTP setup and are set to send these HW events to the monitoring server. If this isn't setup the events tap doesn't get populated.

On the client, install smtp and smtp provider. Open up the SNMP service and configured the security tab to accept traps from the monitoring server and specify your community name with read and create. You most likely already have this whole part done. Next on the traps tab, enter your community name in the list and remove any other community names that your not using. then the box below specify the system name, or IP or FQDN on where you want to send the traps to - this would be your monitoring server.

You think must stop and start the snmp service for this to completely take affect. You should see startup events on the monitoring server under events for this server. Once you reboot the client you will also see the rest of your hardware events since that is usually only generated on the server startup, or when the problem happens.
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Maybe you should recompile( or update it) you're MIB'S on you're HP SIM server, i know the most recent version around is 7.51, there is the version 7.60 but i only find it in the CD.

Maybe this will help
http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/simsnmp.pdf
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Jack Gryn
Occasional Advisor

I tried Don's suggestion to no avail. Although I did get alerts when the machine was in the shutdown portion of the reboot, that's all I got. Nothing showed up as events in the boot up, or when we pulled a RAID drive temporarily.

(The client is running Win2K).

WRT to Daniel's suggestion, is there a way to check the MIB version easily, prior to upgrading?
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Try this
http://www.oidview.com/oidview.html

It will help you with you re mib's
Jack Gryn
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I have yet to find a solution to this, if anyone has any more suggestions as to why the drive failures aren't being reported to HP SIM (and how to resolve this), it would be appreciated.