New Discussion

Events not displayed in HP SIM

SOLVED
Go to solution
_Matthias_
Frequent Visitor

Events not displayed in HP SIM

Hello,

I'm using HP SIM 6.3 on a Windows 2008 host and trying to monitor a DL360 G6 running Debian Linux. On Linux I installed snmpd, HP Health and the HP SNMP Agent. The system can be discovered in HP SIM and hardware information is displayed on the system status page under "Health Status / SNMP" (Storage, Network, Drive Array, ...).

I'm using wireshark to monitor the incoming SNMP traffic on the HP SIM host, SNMP traps generated from the Linux box are received and the "Health Status" in HP SIM is updated accordingly, so I assume my SNMP setup is working fine.

Why are there no events displayed in HP SIM? Shouldn't SNMP traps generate events?

5 REPLIES 5
shatra
Advisor

Re: Events not displayed in HP SIM

Hello Mathias,

I have exactly same problem on several linux  DL 380 G 6, agents are running fine in System management Homepage, identification was ok, I can generate a test trap that is visible in HP SIM events for that server, but no other events regarding hardware events, eg. if I pull out a power cord, or remove an drive, no trap received at all from server to HP SIM. Can you please share your snmp conf file. HP support sucks! If you find any resolution to this problem please share with us!

PS: I am using also SIM 6.3 on Windows 2008

Thank you!

_Matthias_
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Hello,

it's working now, events are generated and mails are sent.

The old snmp conf I used was generated by HP SIM:

rocommunity public
trapsink <domainname HP SIM host>
dlmod cmaX /usr/lib64/libcmaX64.so

I already had an older snmpd.conf which I'm using now:

dlmod cmaX /usr/lib64/libcmaX64.so
rocommunity public
trapcommunity public
trapsink <domainname HP SIM host>

I already tried different versions of this conf in the last few days and it didn't work back then, so I don't know exactly why it's working now.

I installed the latest hotfix for HP SIM yesterday, currently using HP SIM 6.3 with Hotfix63_014.jar, maybe this did help.

I can provide more information and do more testing if needed.

stevenliutj
Advisor

Hi,

did you check task of Automatic Event Handing? and further confirm if all of them inculde Linux or other related with OS.

Steven

Thunderbird007

Hi,

I go the same problem, the SIM with version 5.2 (running Win 2002 Standard Edition R2 SP2) is not getting SNMP trap from client (running Redhat 5.2). I tested by plugging out power supply and LAN cable, no alert on SIM until I normal shutdown the client, then SIM got alert. What must be gone wrong? How to check it?

_Matthias_
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

check your trapcommunity in the snmpd.conf, it solved my problem.

HP SIM seems only to display SNMP traps as events when the community string is equal to the SNMP communities configured in SIM.