1751834 Members
5756 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Failed SIM 5.1 sp1 install to remote MS-SQL

RHagen_1
Advisor

Failed SIM 5.1 sp1 install to remote MS-SQL

getting "Unable to get information from the specified database server" on database configuration page and fails to install to a remote SQL2005 db. both servers are same W2K3sp1 builds on HP DL hardware.

local facts: W2K3sp1 SIM to W2K3sp1 SQL2005 db, same VLAN, install domain account has both server admim group and SQL create/edit DB on remote db server. tested using sys DSN successfully over tcp port 1433 with install domain user/service account. Install domain accnt is domain admin. Remote db shows netstat connection from SIM server on port 1433. able to connect from SIM to SQL on remote server with SQL 2005 Server Mgt Studio/Tool using same install accnt. SQL Browsing service is enabled on remote db host, no firewalls running, AV or Windows. NSlookup is good, no other named SQL instances - straight SQL 2005 DB. Also failed install if changed tcp ports to 1453 or 1434. added hosts entry and restarted system after flushing dns didn't work and no change. password of user/service domain account only has ! exclamation mark in password. checked with switch admins and they confirm port 1433 is not blocked.

any help before I have to go out and request HP help...
9 REPLIES 9
A. Edens
Frequent Advisor

Ralph,

I ran into this problem repeatedly. Your setup sounds similar to mine.

Try this:

1.) Telnet from your SIM box to the SQL box.

c:\> telnet 1433

If the screen goes blank, you have a connection.

2.) In the box when it asks for "Instance", leave it at the default regardless of your instance name.

As soon as I did this, it connected fine.

Hope that helps.
RHagen_1
Advisor

one of the items I didn't mention was that I tried telnet on port 1433 and it connected...

but I have not tried item 2 so I will give that a try..

R....
RHagen_1
Advisor

Are you saying, don't change the 'instance name' (MSSQLserver) and don't select the option 'use this one' for a remote database server?

won't that install locally?
A. Edens
Frequent Advisor

No, it shouldn't install locally unless you select MSDE as the installation method.

Let me download SIM again and I will tell you what I did..

....... Ok

On the database configuration screen:

Under "Instance name" I always entered the name of our SQL instance and it always failed.

When I left the setting at

"Use Existing" MSSQLSERVER

It worked. SIM install created the databases it needs on my SQL instance.

Hope it works for you as well.
A. Edens
Frequent Advisor

Also, I wasn't clear on this.

I entered the Domain User/Password, AD domain name, the machine name of the *remote* SQL server, etc.
RHagen_1
Advisor

if I let it default, it tried to install the MSDE version and if I select the 'other' option for remote SQL it still gives the 'can't find' time out error even though I can open a sql admin or ODBC connection to that remote SQL server. Thanks... I did try the steps you mention but I'm still getting the time out finding the remote SQL server (with no instance)...guess it's time to beat up on HP...
A. Edens
Frequent Advisor

Sounds like it.

The only other suggestion I might have is to use a copy of Wire Shark, and see what the traffic looks like. See if there is any response from the SQL server. Perhaps even get lucky and be able to inspect a SQL packet.

Good luck.
ChallengeLogic
Occasional Contributor

We had this issue last week. I wanted to install my DB to a PolyServe Cluster. I left the DB name as 'Master' and the install creates its own DB. Make sure your service account has all the relevant DB permissions.
hotchips

Hi

Struggled with same issue myself.

Trick was to give the MSSQL Instance its own custom port (say 1450) in SQL Configuration Manager, Protocols, TCPIP, IP Addresses.

Remove the 0 next to TCP Dynamic Ports and enter the custom port number in TCP Port field below for all IP addresses.

Restart the Instance.

Back in Insight Manager setup, when defining the Instance name to connect to, click the "Use this one" radio box but leave the field empty & define the custom port below.

Good luck!