Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753797 Members
7007 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: False SIM/Storage Agent Trap/Warning?

William Weis
Occasional Contributor

False SIM/Storage Agent Trap/Warning?

I've receided these warnings a couple of times in the last week.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Storage Agents
Event Category: Events
Event ID: 1213
Date: 2/20/2006
Time: 11:44:15 AM
User: N/A
Computer: PAI06
Description:
Storage System Temperature Status Change.
The COMPAQ PROLIANT 4LEE storage system connected to SCSI bus 1 of the controller in Slot 2 has a new temperature status of 0.
(Temperature status values: 1=other,2=ok,3=degraded,4=failed,5=notInstalled)
[SNMP TRAP: 8027 in CPQSTSYS.MIB]

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Storage Agents
Event Category: Events
Event ID: 1214
Date: 2/20/2006
Time: 11:44:15 AM
User: N/A
Computer: PAI06
Description:
Storage System Fault Tolerant Power Supply Status Change.
The fault tolerant power supply in the COMPAQ PROLIANT 4LEE storage system connected to SCSI bus 1 of the controller in Slot 2 has a new status of 0.
(Power supply status values: 1=other,2=ok,3=degraded, 4=failed,5=notInstalled)
[SNMP TRAP: 8028 in CPQSTSYS.MIB]

Because the status is 0, I assume that this is either a false error or possibly a hardware error, but I just want to be sure. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4
tmagee
Valued Contributor

I've not received those warnings, but would checking the events in SIM (the 'systems and events page' on the server running SIM) show further descriptions of the trap value and status? (There can be a lot more info in there that's not sent with the alert).
William Weis
Occasional Contributor

I have looked at them, but haven't been able to gleen anymore infor from those entries. Below is one of the SIM entries.
=========================================
An administratively-assigned name for this managed node. By convention, this is the node`s fully-qualified domain name.

SERVERNAME

The Trap Flags. This is a collection of flags used during trap delivery. Each bit has the following meaning: Bit 5-31: RESERVED: Always 0. Bit 2-4: Trap Condition 0= Not used (for backward compatibility) 1= Condition unknown or N/A 2= Condition ok 3= Condition degraded 4= Condition failed 5-7= reserved Bit 1: Client IP address type 0= static entry 1= DHCP entry Bit 0: Agent Type 0= Server 1= Client NOTE: bit 31 is the most significant bit, bit 0 is the least significant.

A text description of the hardware location of the controller to which this box is attached. A NULL string indicates that the hardware location could not be determined or is irrelevant.

Slot 2

Drive Box Controller Index. The controller index indicates to which adapter card instance this table entry belongs.

Drive Box Bus Index. The bus index indicates to which bus instance on an adapter card this table entry belongs. The instances start at one and increment for each bus on a card.

Drive Box Vendor This is the drive box`s vendor name. This can be used for identification purposes.

COMPAQ

Drive Box Model. This is a description of the drive box`s model. This can be used for identification purposes.

PROLIANT 4LEE

Drive Box Serial Number. This is the drive box`s serial number which is normally display on the front panel. This can be used for identification purposes.

9J2AFLW12GG0

This value specifies the overall status of the fault tolerant power supply sub-system in a drive box. This value will be one of the following: other(1) The power supply status cannot be determined. ok(2) There are no detected power supply failures. degraded(3) One of the power supply units in a fault tolerant power supply has failed. failed(4) No failure conditions can currently be determined. noFltTolPower(5) This unit does not support fault tolerant power supply monitoring.

Mib Information
The associated MIB File Name for this trap is cpqstsys.mib and the MIB identifier CPQSTSYS-MIB
tmagee
Valued Contributor

I can't offer much more on this one - the SIM event listing is showing "Trap Condition 0= Not used (for backward compatibility)", (this comment appears in other events)

Only other thing, if it's a Windows system, does the event log in there show more about the power supply status, or the SIM homepage for the server for the power supply can show if it's sensed an issue.
William Weis
Occasional Contributor

nothing in the event log other that the 1213/1214 events. System Management Homepage reports no failed/degrade items and nothing in the logs. I think it has something to do with the MSA30 attached to this server directly, since it is not attached to the other CL380 in the "cluster". Hmmmm....