108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: File System Space Used

SOLVED
Go to solution
brot816
Occasional Advisor

File System Space Used

I'm running SIM 5.0 and agent version 7.3A on Windows 2003 server machines. I've downloaded/installed the Sun Java and can now see the threshold sliders. The problem is that no matter what I do, the sliders will not stay at the threshold I'm trying to set. SNMP appears to be fine (the server reports back to IM) and I am logged in as an administrator. On another server, the space used showing is far less than what is actually being used. Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Sounds like you may lack a READ-CREATE or READ-WRITE community string. More info here: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1001139
brot816
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the quick response David! I double checked and found that I do have a trap with READ CREATE permissions. I also have "accept SNMP packets from these hosts" set to localhost, 127.0.0.1, and the IM server. Would the lack of a public or "read only" community string cause this?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

In the SNMP Set up under the Security Tab you need both a Read Only and a Read/Write community name set up.

The Read Write is used for setting the threshold sliders.
The same community names shoild also be added to the HPSIM Glibal Settings section.

In the Allow hosts you need the localhost /127.0.0.1 plus an entry for the HPSIM Server.

As regards the space used, there's a bug in some of the recent versions of the Agents that causes large volumes to display incorrectly. Fixed in (I think) 7.40. There's a version 7.41 that also fixes an issue where CPU and Logical Disk I/O loads were incorrectly reported as exceeding thresholds.

brot816
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Rob, I did as you suggested and set up a read community string on the server as well as the SIM server. I had no luck. I did notice when I tried to move the sliders under the "Performance/logical disks" section of the Homepage that it mentioned something about "sets". I stumbled upon that check box in the HP Management Agents program in the Windows control panel. I checked that box, restarted the agents, and the sliders in both sections worked. I don't remember ever having to set that check mark to make those work! Thanks again for your help.
Rob
Brian P.Kelly
Advisor

I'm having the same problem with a server. I can't get the sliders to stay put. I've looked in the control panel under HP managment agents, but don't see the set your refering to? brot816 can you give me more detail of where the setting is.
Thanks,
Brian
tmagee
Valued Contributor

There's an 'enable SNMP sets' check box - it may be this one that's being referred to. (Access via control panel, hp management agents, snmp settings (same page as the send test trap select)).

There's the 7.41 agents released now (not part of the psp 7.4) that fix the repeat rising threshold alerts (pre-release would only trigger when passing threshold the one time).

Has anyone got a method to set the threshold values for systems with more than one logical drive? The sliders will move and set ok for each logical drive, but how can I set the reset value (using SIM set disk thresholds not seem to work though I've not tried it with read write snmp string) and can this be made different for each logical drive?
brot816
Occasional Advisor

Brian,
tmgee pointed you to the correct place. Once I set that check mark to "enable SNMP Sets" The sliders stayed where I set them. You can also enable "Sets" from within the system mgmt homepage under Settings/SNMP& agent settings. You will have to restart the HP agents for the settings to take effect.
Rob
Brian P.Kelly
Advisor

I looked at the SMH-settings etc and the setting was already there. I restarted to agents and Voilla. I'm good to go.

Thank you folks!!!
Mike Angley
Advisor

Just for an FYI guys, i have been running a large environment with only one SNMP string for several years, and its set to read_create. No issues with reading or writing using only one string.

Good luck!!