1751975 Members
4719 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: First Experience with HP Systems Insight Manager

Bart Hirst
Occasional Contributor

First Experience with HP Systems Insight Manager

I have a handful of HP Servers now, so I thought I'd install HP Systems Insight Manager. Can someone tell me what the best (smart) practice is for getting my servers to talk to the Repository Manager?

Here's what I've tried sofar:

#1 - Deploy, Deploy Drivers, Firmware and Agents, Initial HP ProLiant Support Pack Install

Result: "There are no Support Packs in this repository"

#2 - Configure, Configure or Repair Agents

Result: "Error when trying to establish SSH connection. Check username/password."

#3 - From the server side - Version Control Agent, Select the Version Control Repository

Result: "The Version Control Repository Manager, at , could not be accessed using the specified account and password."

Thanks,
Bart

6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The Version Control Repository Manager is usually (but doesn't have to be) installed on the same Server as HPSIM.
This then needs to be configured to point to a directory. I have a top level directory with several sub-directories for each PSP as well as one for non-PSP material.
Download the PSPs you need into the file structure. The VCRM should automatically expand this and you'll see a number of cpnnnnn.exe and .mnf files.
I have a local account with admin privs on the server. The VCA is configured to point to the server the VCRM is installed on and I use the acc/pass created above. Once a connection is established you should see the PSP's available.
Bart Hirst
Occasional Contributor

Ok, I created the administrator account on the SIM and was able to connect (as in #3) from the server side with that account. Did I miss something in the docs, because nowhere it talks about downloading support packs. I downloaded the proper support pack and put it into a subdirectory under c:\Repository. Now I can select the pack from the server side.

To get configure or repair agent to work (as in #2) I installed OpenSSH via the SIM Deploy -> Deploy OpenSSH, then Config Repair worked.

I think I finally have this server up on the board, only 4 more servers to go, I can see why this software is free!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Perhaps when you get more of an idea of what HPSIM can do you'll wonder why its free.

PSP's can be downloaded automatically or manually it's a VCRM configuration option.

Getting Trusts etc. established is the hardest part, but HPSIM has the tools to be able to replicate settings and deploy the software as required.
HP Agents can be pre-configured so the changes are automatically deployed.
The fact there's a database means that you can do quite a lot of reporting over and above what's available via the standard reports.
Bart Hirst
Occasional Contributor

Fair enough. I'll give it some more time.

Is this stuff documented somewhere so I don't have to keep bothering you guys? I'm having a hard time finding a good doc source.

thanks for all your help
Rancher
Honored Contributor

It's no bother, that is what we are here for! Here is the link to the SIMS documentation.
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/infolibrary.html
Bart Hirst
Occasional Contributor

If I could as you guys another question - I have a couple DL140 G2's i'm trying to hook up. I read the other threads here regarding that, so I know VC won't work with them, however I am trying to setup SNMP & WBEM.

Question is - how do I know if these are working? I enabled SNMP and created the WBEM NT accounts. The only difference I can see is that SIM now knows the target machines "hardware type" under product description.

How do I know if WBEM is working?

Should SNMP report more than "Hardware: x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 AT/AT COMPATIBLE ..."?

thanks.