1752687 Members
5429 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

First Time HP SIM Installation

SimIT
Regular Advisor

First Time HP SIM Installation

Hi I am preparing for First Time HP SIM Installation.

Server hardware is ready.

What are the prerequisites for Software? Can anybody suggest

9 REPLIES 9
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: First Time HP SIM Installation

Hello there,

Sure i can but i guess you don't like to read the readme on http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04154481

In short, look at page 7 and below. Windows and Linux is supported and you can even run it on a virtual server.

If you need more info, be more specific.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

When you launch the installation software you will be proposed to run the Installation Advisor...

He will detect for you missing software, updates and/or prerequisites...

See that the Advisor is green (which means OK) and your installation of SIM will succeed as well...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
SimIT
Regular Advisor

Thanks Andrew and Bart.
I have below query:
I want to configure SIM for email alerts only. What would be the addtional requirement fro that. Also would I need any MIB??
What about the database? DO I have to have it separately.
What about the licenses? Is it not a freeware?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

you need MIB's on your SIM server (they are included), otherwise you can't translate the SNMP trap events you will get from your servers. There is also the option to install a Express version (Free) on the local system. That is a good option for non enterprise enviroments. And SIM will request a licence, but since it's free that should not be a problem. You can generate a licence on the HP website. https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPSIM-LIC

Kind regards,

Andrew
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

For this typical setup indeed go for the free inlucded SQL express version... Installed together with HP SIM...

On the licenses it depends what you want to do... If it is only monitoring yes you can do this for free... Including alerting (which is called automatic event handling in SIM) by sending mails for instance...

If you want to 'control' your environment you will need Insight Control which runs on top of (and is dependent of) HP SIM... The software is free but the managed servers you will need a Insight Control license. 60 day trial available on the website mentioned above...

But if it is only for monitoring you are good with the free version...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
SimIT
Regular Advisor

Thanks Both again.

I would proceed with typical install. I need only for monitoring ane email alerts.

I would start with HP SIM 7.3 on Windows CMS.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

Good luck with the install, if you have any other questions let us know!

Kind regards,

Andrew
SimIT
Regular Advisor

I read in SIM installation that .net framework shud be downloaded...is it mandatory?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello agsin,

My SIM server has .NET. installed on Windows 2008 R2, but just run the installer and find out. If the installer does not complain i would not install it. 

Kind regards,

Andrew