6267 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Forward as SNMP Trap Event Handler Problem

Duckfather
Frequent Advisor

Forward as SNMP Trap Event Handler Problem

Hi all

I've recently upgraded from 5.3 to 6.2 (via 6.0) and have an SNMP forwarding problem.

If HP SIM receives an SNMP trap, and the event handler is set to 'forward as SNMP trap', this works fine and a trap is forwarded to my trapsink.

However, if a HP SIM generated event handler (such as Device Unreachable / Reachable etc) is set to 'forward as SNMP trap', a trap is never sent!

Looking at the Task Results for the event handler, it says that the status for the 'forward as SNMP trap' action is 'complete' with a big tick on it. Unfortunately, no trap is ever received at the other end (tested by Wireshark).

This used to work fine in 5.3, SNMP trap forwarding was corrupt completely in 6.0, and now this in 6.2!

Has anyone else seen this / got any fixes / workarounds?

Cheers

Andy
5 REPLIES 5
Duckfather
Frequent Advisor

Re: Forward as SNMP Trap Event Handler Problem

FYI

I've not managed to find any fixes for this, but I have confirmed to my own satisfaction that HP SIM 6.2 now definately fails to generate SNMP traps for internally generated events, even though it says it has (tested by packet sniffing on both the HP SIM server and the remote SNMP trapsink).

In order to get a workaround for this, I've been forced to write a small app which takes some parameters from the triggered event handler (pointer to the app saved as a Custom Tool so I can run it from the event handler) and creates an SNMP trap based on this data, which is then sent to my SNMP server.

The only reason I upgraded from 6.0 to 6.2 (after upgrading from 5.3) was because the SNMP traps that 6.0 sent out were corrupt (known issue with a KB article somewhere on the HP SIM site for it, along with a hotfix rollup package, which I elected not to use, more fool me).

I've got to admit, the fix for sending corrupt SNMP traps is 500% successfull, in as much as they certainly are no longer corrupt because they are no longer sent!

Thanks HP!

Andy
Brett Friedman

I was advised by HP to install HOTFIX62_001.jar.
This did not fix the snmp community name forwarding problem.
I've confirmed this by sniffing the packets.
Brad Cunningham
Trusted Contributor

4/18/11
HP labs have been able to reproduce the problem and there should be a patched release shortly.

The symptoms I have seen are SNMP events are forwarded but up/down, wbem and other non SNMP events are not forwarded.

regards
brad
Brad Cunningham
Trusted Contributor

As far as I know the patch is for 6.2 only

brad
just_an_op

Running 6.2 and having the same problem. Does anybody know if the patch got released?