Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started in an environment of servers, OS etc. spread over several domains.

OhhBee-1
Regular Advisor

Getting started in an environment of servers, OS etc. spread over several domains.

Hi,

This is my situation: several servers(500-600) which have different agents, agents versions and some no agents whatsoever.

Some I have managed to put under management by using the configure-repair tool ( these are only servers placed in the same domain as the CMS, by the way), some fail.

What would be the best way to grab this seemingly vast task by the horn?

The only thing I want from these servers for starters is basic HD baseline, disk thresholds. Which agents need to be installed to provide this for me?

Does OpenSSH need to be installed on the target system in order to put it under management(from the CMS)? Is there any other way? Does this install require a reboot of the system?

Any hints you can give me otherwise?

thank you
1 REPLY
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: Getting started in an environment of servers, OS etc. spread over several domains.

I personally have never used SIM to push an initial agent install. I have always installed the agents are part of our standard image - so they are always there. I do use SIM to upgrade the agents to the new versions. So if you setup a SIM VCR, you can use that to at least upgrade all your existing older version servers.

I don't use SSH - never found the need and quite frankly don't understand the need. Maybe for managing UNIX/Linux servers. But Windows has so many built in remote management tools (RDP, computer management, etc.) I really don't understand why HP went with a SSH solution for Windows. SSH totally confuses me. I get by managing 400 servers just fine without SSH on any of them.

If you are using SIM 5.2, I think you can push agents to new machines without using SSH. Maybe this was in previous versions too.

The intial install of the support pack does require a reboot - I am not sure about SSH...I don't think it does.

Nelson