Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753645 Members
6206 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Guest VM for the HP SIM 5.1 Server (CMS and SQL) hosted on ESX 3.x?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jesus Malena
Occasional Advisor

Here is the pic of my HP SIM VM Peformance
Jesus Malena
Occasional Advisor

Also here is the link for the documentation that gives this information about running HP SIM 5.1 on a VM in ESX 3.01

http://docs.hp.com/en/431828-002/ch03s01.html

This if of course if you can get to it as I have had problems getting anything in the document area of HP. Something is wrong with their documentation system.

Jesus
Dana Swanson
Regular Advisor

Thanks Jesus!

Your information and screen shots were very helpful.

I'm glad it's running well for you.

It sounds like if you had to have HP SIM 5.1 perform better with many more servers managed, a higher end server or more memory would solve the bottlenecks.

It's pretty impressive it runs with 1 processor on a Guest VM that I assume you assigned 1 or 2 gig of memory to.

Thanks for the link as well, I'll take a look for more info.

Were not sure if the Service Essentials Remote Support Pack will be used so we can use a VM first and if this is a option we want to use we can purchase a physical machine for HP SIM 5.1 down the road.

Thanks again!

Dana
Jesus Malena
Occasional Advisor

Hey Dana,

Well it depends on how many servers you are planning to manage. In our enterprise we have 300 physical servers in 5 locations all been managed by this one VM and as you can see performance is not a big issue here. I designated one CPU because I wouldn't think the VM would eat up a lot of CPU power. I could have designated more CPU power to this box and given it priority over other VMs while it was doing its discovery, but login in and doing work on the VM box or getting to the HP SIM homepage and configuring it while discovery was on didn't slow it down and didn't hinder my work.

I hope it works well for you and probably running a test first would be the best way of giving it a crack at it.

Jesus
Happy Easter