1748151 Members
3614 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HBA Failures and SIM Notification

Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

HBA Failures and SIM Notification

This week one of our QLogic HBAs on our backup server (running Windows 2003) reported that it couldn't find the path to our tape drives. Turns out after further investigation this HBA had failed.

The server has the SIM agents installed and the storage agents see the HBAs. However, we never received a notification that this HBA was failing. When I look at the SMH there are no errors or warnings regarding this HBA.

Is there something special that has to be done for HBAs to report back to SIM that they are failing? Once the HBA reports the failure to SIM is there a special MIB or something that needs to be set up to send a notification?

We are running HP SIM version C.05.03.01.
13 REPLIES 13
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

From the Control Panel->HP Management Agents GUI, use the SNMP Trap to send a test trap. does that get to HP SIM?
If not then your trap destination hasn't been set.
From the same GUI you can also check that the sub-agent hasn't been deactiviated.
Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

Am I correct that test traps will show up under the "Events" list for the server?

Thanks.
Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

I tried sending the test trap but didn't receive anything. I then decided to make sure that the insight agents were installed correctly so I ran the "Configure/repair agents" on my server. I selected to install the SNMP agent (nothing else checked). After my reboot the "Control Panel, HP Management Agents" option is gone.

How do I get this back?

Thanks.
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

Try running the "Install Initial PSP" on the server which should be next to the "Configure or Repair Agents". It should install the entire PSP. The server might require a reboot. So use the check box to tell it whether or not to reboot if required.
Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

This didn't put the Management agent GUI back in Control Panel. Is there another way to send a test SNMP trap for this server?

Also, where do test SNMP traps show up in SIM?

Thanks.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Not sure how to reinstate the GUI.
Events will show up under name of the server that sent the trap.
Click on the server name in HPSIM, there's an Events Tab there that will just show the events for that server.

If no events have shown up from the test SNMP trap then it would imply that the SNMP Trap destination on the server sending the trap hasn't been set correctly. The destination is the HPSIM Server and it needs the correct community name.
Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

This keeps getting better. I ran the Initial PSP install and rebooted. Now when I look at my server in SIM it shows a type of "Unknown".

I ran the software status polling, hardware status polling and identify systems for this server. When I look at the system management homepage for this server I'm not sure I'm seeing everything. Example: Under "Storage" I used to have a link for external storage that showed my HBAs. Now the only thing I see is the Smart Array card in the server. I don't see anything for the HBAs.

Thanks.
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

Does the Management Agents now show in the Control Panel ? IF so make sure the "Fibre Channel Information" subagent is under the Active side.
Nancy Kafer
Frequent Advisor

Nope I don't have that anymore. The only HP item I see in the Control Panel is the "HP Network Configuration Utility".