108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP EVA8000 monitoring with HP SIM 6.2

Tiwari_A
Advisor

HP EVA8000 monitoring with HP SIM 6.2

HP EVA8000 monitoring with HP SIM 6.2
Hi All,
IтАЩve been using SIM for monitoring and managing C-Class blade encloses and was quite successful so far тАУ thanks to simplicity of SIM interface.
But now IтАЩve struck issue with EVA monitoring. IтАЩve been given task to monitoring (send alerts/mails etc) using SIM for any hardware/component fault found within EVA800. I was given IP address and user name password for adding but later I found the IP given was of Management server (Windows Storage Server 2003) from which I got only internal hardware status of server not of EVA itself.
Obviously EVA doesnтАЩt have any Ethernet interface, and SIM server (CMS) is not having any HBA either.
Could someone tell me how do I add EVA into SIM and monitor EVA component?

Regards,
Ashutosh Tiwari
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

HPSIM monitors the EVA via the CommandView Server. You'll need to add credentials that can access CV, controlled by the local Storage Admins group on the CV Server.
I use a local account on the CV server, seems to have worked well for me.
Also search he forum for wbemdisco as it's a good tool to test access. You'll also get pointed to loads of similar threads that should help you.
Tiwari_A
Advisor

Hello Bob,
Thanks for your quick response. It├в s my first time I├в m trying to manage/monitor storage device. Being windows admin, I have very basic knowledge on EVA and its components. And I├в m picking them up with cross reference on HP forum.

Coming back to issue observed so far- when I run the discovery, I├в m getting few bellow error-
----------------------
Minor: This system does not have any SMI-S CIMOMs installed. No storage
systems will be found on this system.
Minor: The Central Management System (CMS) cannot communicate with the
CIMOM locally installed on the managed system using the WBEM
protocol, Identification will try to identify Windows systems using
the WMI Mapper as proxy; for Linux and HP-UX systems, check
credentials by going to Options->Security->Credentials->System
Credentials. For Linux systems also check if the HP WBEM provider
is installed.
Critical: There are no valid WBEM / WMI credentials for the system(s).
* Running WBEM rules based identification...
Minor: Identification cannot get computer system hardware data from the
WBEM / WMI providers.
* Running Virtual Machine (VM) Host (non HP Integrity VM Host)
Identification...

----------------------
I├в ve given administrator id/password of Windows server (Storage manager) running Command View. I can see CIMOM installed on Storage manager server along with Command View 6.0. I also tested WBEM access using wbemDisco providing same credentials, and it appears to be working fine. Let me know if I need to enumerate/explore any particular class/object.

PFA txt file.

I├в m still not sure where is it going on. I├в m comfortable with SNMP, but WBEM seems to be unexplored realm for me.

Also, after discovering the server, it appears to be displaying data using SNMP only. See attached screen shot. PFA JPG file.

Note: Storage manager is neither in domain, nor behind any firewall etc.

Please advice.

Regards,
Ashutosh Tiwari
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You are running the ID task against the CommandView Server?
The username password that you have used in wbemdisco should be added to the server specific credentials for the CV Server.
Click on the CV Server name in HPSIM, go to Tools & Links -> System Credentials
The credentials being used should be listed as being used.
Also CV 6.0 is very old now, it's up to 9.x. You may need to check that CV 6 is supported by SIM 6.2.
If wbemdisco is working when run from the CV server and HPSIM is using those wbem credentials on the CV server then it should detect the EVAs being monitored.
Tiwari_A
Advisor

Hi Rob,
Yes, the Discovery is running against CV server with windows credentials which are also storage admin (i.e. same credential is used for Command View), where as the WBemDisco was run against WMI port with default user name password (i.e. administrator/administrator).
Considering that WMI credentials are different, I gave same credential on Discovery > Edit task > Credentials > Show Advanced credentials > WBEM/WMI credentials.

I can see the managed device (EVA) under association on Management Server, but still there are not details it should be having like Port/Luns/Storage controller etc.
Although, that discovery error for CIMOM not installed etc has now vanished. I' be logging direct call with our vendor as the EVA management is still done by them and they would need to upgrade Command View and probably CIMOM providers on management server.

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Ashutosh Tiwari
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Try using the credentials you used in wbemdisco.
Enter the credentials as server specific credentials. as noted above click on the device name for the CV server and go from there.
Then run a device identification task - not the discovery task.
Before upgrading CV your vendor will also need to check that the EVA itself is up to date with its FW.
Micke_Ch_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi!

Maybe you are using a different port in Command View SMI-S communication.
Check this file:
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SMI-S\CXWSCimom\config
and look in this line:
cxws.https.port=5989
That port number is SMI-S using.
After that you must enter this port number in wbemportlist.xml located at this location (can vary)
C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config\identification

This is in detail described in this pdf:
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02474021/c02474021.pdf

Look at point 12.2.2.

Good luck.

/Micke Ch