Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753468 Members
4712 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Insight Event Notifier service not starting

Jack Barratt

HP Insight Event Notifier service not starting

I'm getting the following error when trying to start the HP Insight Event Notifier service:

Windows could not start the HP Insight Event Notifier on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 3.

This what the System event log shows:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7024
Description:
The HP Insight Event Notifier service terminated with service-specific error 3 (0x3).

This is what the Application event log shows:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: CimNotify
Event Category: (1)
Event ID: 3
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 3 ) in Source ( CimNotify ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .

Could anybody help with this issue? Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

If you're using HPSIM then you don't need this. Just disable it.
You'd only try and use it if you don't have any kind of Central Management Server and you just want e-mails when anything happens.
With HPSIM you configure SNMP to send traps to the CMS and let that alert you.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Jack, specifically, until you configure the Insight Event Notifier from Start --> Insight Management Agents --> Insight Event Notifier, it's not going to start the service. But Rob is right--this capability to directly email events from the agent in lieu of sending SNMP traps is unnecessary if you're using HPS IM.

I always disagree with the statement that you do not need event notifier. I have caught numerous problems by configuring to have both SIM and event notifier run at the same time. Most common is that we get one or the other but not both and the reasons are too varied to try and explain here. SIM messages are nicer to read so we immediately delete the event notifier messages (when it dup'd with the SIM alert). We have over 700 devices and many levels of admins as well as a complex multi DMZ's, etc. We use a dedicated mailbox with rules to help sort, etc.

Anyway, I find it helpful to have both and to try and answer the question about why the event notifier might have problems is the most common is that the smtp address configured is not reachable.

MJ
Kingpinkiller
Advisor

Hi,

yes, maybe you all are right...

But what is the solution if
you have (only) to use Event Notifier ?

Start the service later ? Depends on what ?
(That works fine with WIN.sched.tasks)

Ralf
Axel Donaubauer

Hello!

When i try to configure the HP Event Notifier Service the Following Error comes up:
Unable to open the Event Notification service.
Zugriff verweigert.

Server: ML350G5
Operating System: SmallBusinessServer2008
SmartStart Version: v8.25

Solution?
NPerry

I fixed mine by checking \windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file - it was practically empty - port 25 was missing - I copied from a known good server - done.