1753468 Members
4427 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Insight Systems Manager

D Shaw
Occasional Advisor

HP Insight Systems Manager

I am new to HP Servers and am trying to work out how to 'manage' remote servers via HP Insight Systems manager. I have installed the HP ISM on a Windows 2000 pc in Location A and have a Compaq Proliant ML350 G3 server which I want to be able to monitor which is located in Location B. On my management server I can't work out how to be able to see the Compaq server.
Can someone please advise ?

Many Thanks !
2 REPLIES 2
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HP Insight Systems Manager

HI,

1. Install SNMP on host server/s, then configure a community string/s (read only & read/write) and also set trap destination (Localhost and SIM server IP or name).

2. After doing this under Global Protocols on SIM server set SNMP settings you configured above.

3. Run discovery on subnet/s on which you would like to monitor host/s.

The above three steps would be a good start, after that would be to create trusts, configure VCA and so on...
Matthew J Warrick
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP Insight Systems Manager

Just to add (since this is a constant issue for me) make sure your firewalls permit SNMP, SMH, SSH and whatever other protocols you wish to use to pass through them to the SIM server. 9 times out of 10 it seems someone wants me to monitor some server at a remote location but they can't understand why they have to modify the access control lists to do it. :p
"Did you get that memo?"