Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753474 Members
4650 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Management Agents not working on a BL460c running ESX3.5

jandal wearin ninja

HP Management Agents not working on a BL460c running ESX3.5

We've installed the HP Management Agents for VMware ESX3.x (hpmgmt-8.1.0-vmware3x.tgz) on a BL460c running ESX3.5 Update2. When viewing the System Management Hompage there are no storage devices listed. Viewing System and Recovery info returns a lot of blank/NA/NULL fields.

SNMP appears to be working as I do get correct info displayed under System Information > Description. Unfortunately, not much else is reporting corretcly though.

Also noticed in the storage agent log (/var/spool/compaq/cma.log) the following line when starting hpasm service:

Starting SAS agent (cmasasd):SAS agent (cmasasd) does not find any supported SAS controller

When stopping hpasm the following line is also of some concern:

Shutting down SAS agent (cmasasd):Failed to open Registry: /var/spool/compaq/hpasm/registry/sas :No such file or directory

Does this mean that the Smart Array E200i on the BL460c is not recognized by the storage agent?

Has any one else encountered similar issues with hpmgmt 8.1.0 agents on ESX3.5?
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I have 8.1.0 here on ESX 3.5 Update 2 on a BL460c and it works as expected. I also see the same errors in the cma.log you've reported above so that doesn't appear to be the issue.
So the E200i is supported and can be seen.

I'd check SNMP is okay first.
Also, what account was used to install the agents? just wondering if it's a permissions issue.
I always pre-configure the hpmgmt.conf file and use that as a silent install. It means I have a consistent installed product.
jandal wearin ninja

Thanks Rob. SNMP appears to be ok a sit is displaying correct information under the SMH System INformation>Description fields.

It was installed using root account also.

I will try uninstalling then reinstalling with a pre-configured config file as you have suggested.

Thanks!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

And being a jandal wearing ninja you've gotta be down this way.
jandal wearin ninja

LOL...where else would you find jandal wearin ninjas ;-)