Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753925 Members
9046 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Repository and the new firmware/driver restrictions based on Care Pack or warranty

John Fedor
Occasional Advisor

HP Repository and the new firmware/driver restrictions based on Care Pack or warranty

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c04044353-3%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&ac.admitted=1392991459646.8...

But what will that do for people that have an HP Repository setup?  Will the repository stop working at some point or will the repository only send files to the computers that have active contracts or ?

Trying to understand how the new rules will be enforced on methods such as that.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Repository and the new firmware/driver restrictions based on Care Pack or warranty

Hello,

I could imagine that you would get an updated VCRM that requires you to fill in a licence key to be able to download the software. The other option could be that the whole download option gets removed and that you have to manualy download your SPPS from the website.

If you want to be absolutly certain contact HP they are the only ones that can realy answercthat question.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
Manuel Dobrounig
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

concerning that "problem" I have the same question. At the moment, the automatic update feature is not working with the current VCRM 7.3.0. No new and current drivers/firmware will be downloaded. I hope, HP or the community can answer this question how it should be handled on that new condition/policy.

br

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

it's really bad in my opinion how HP doesn't really give more feedback through that forum...

Did anyone find an official statement yet about that issue?

John Fedor
Occasional Advisor

Only thing I got from a discussion from an HP person was that it will be server BIOS only that'll be impacted, as noted in their posted information (see URL in my opening post)

1.What is the scope of this change?
This change affects ProLiant system ROM and complex programming logic devices (CPLD) firmware. Validation is not required for iLO, I/O, or controller firmware.
Safety and security related updates for all firmware will remain available without validation.

So, drivers, smart array, etc won't be impacted.  Guessing server BIOS will just fail to be updating going forward, but yet to be seen.

My repository hasn't had any new files in quite a while.  Haven't checked yet to see if because no updates have been made available, something wrong with my repository, or because HP's hiding things from the repository.