1753448 Members
6193 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 5.0 Menus are un-usable with IE 6 browser

Mike Minter
Occasional Contributor

HP SIM 5.0 Menus are un-usable with IE 6 browser

Has anyone else seen a problem with the way the UI Menus work in IE 6 on some Windows XP machines? I have one system where the menus don't behave correctly and are "clipped" and do not line up well. The same login to the site from a different machine works just fine so it must be something local on this one Windows laptop. I am attaching a screen shot to show what I mean.
3 REPLIES 3
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

A new security setting has popped up in some newer IE6 build:

tools --> internet options --> security --> internet --> custom level --> miscellaneous --> allow script initiated windows without size or position constraint
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

I have made the same modification and yet nothing change .
i recheck everything and nothing changes
Jens Farley

One thing to try is clearing your browser cache and signing in again to see if that makes a difference.

Here's what I can tell from the screen shot: the size of the font in the menu is "off". That is, it's larger than it should be, and only in the menu. It would appear that not only is the font size wrong, but the computations for positioning the menu popups is similarly "off" by some factor.

Something to consider is a quirk that sometimes people stumble on by accident:

In IE, holding a CTRL key down while rolling your mouse scroll wheel will increase/decrease the font size for that window. This is similar to adjusting the View > Text Size setting of the browser, but it's very localized to where the mouse cursor is at the time. If you open any of the SIM menus, position the mouse cursor over the menu, and roll your scroll wheel with the CTRL key down, it will change the size of the font in just that small menu window.

So, if clearing your cache does not work, please experiment with holding a CTRL key down while rolling your mouse scroll wheel (if you have one).

Though I can't duplicate the screen shot, I can duplicate these aspects of it:

1) I can increase the size of my menu font to match the size of the font in the screen shot.

2) This causes the scroll trangles to appear on top and bottom (as in the screen shot).

However, the menu placement is still computed correctly in my case.