1748176 Members
4109 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 5.01 and WMI Proxy

Steve Giordano
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM 5.01 and WMI Proxy

I'm looking at using the WMI Proxy and have it installed in our Secure Zone networks and report back to the CMS using TCP (5989) - I'm hoping our Firewall team will thank me for it. My question is if I set this up does this mean I don't need any of the TCP/UDP/SNMP ports/protocols open -- I only need TCP 5989 between the WMI Proxy and the CMS?
2 REPLIES 2
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

Hi

Well it will depend on what you are willing to achieve in terms of Management. Are you looking for Hardware management , inventory data ?

Take a look at the following doc: http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/MANAGINGHPServers-withHPSIM.pdf

hope it helps

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Steve Giordano
Frequent Advisor

So it looks like the WMI Proxy allows for data collection -- not SNMP traps, VC communication etc. It also doesn't look like it covers detailed HW info like SNMP would. Does that sound correct? If so I'll proceed down the SNMP route through our FW's (most likely on a seperate mgmt network). Also looked at using the ILO-passthough but that too still looks limited compared to simply passing SNMP through the FW. Am i reading this document correctly?