Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753814 Members
8038 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 5.1 Inital HP ProLiant Support Pack Install error?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martin Stensland
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM 5.1 Inital HP ProLiant Support Pack Install error?

Hi.

I have installed HP SIM 5.1 on a Windows XP SP2 computer. This will be my CMS.

I have followed the Installation Guide, but at Step 4 in Inital HP ProLiant Support Pack Install, I get a message saying "There are no configurable components in this Support Pack."

Can anybody help me, and tell me why I get this, and how to correct it?

If I click on Next, I get to Step 5, but nothing happens.. It says "Downloading the Support Pack to the CMS. This could take 5 minutes or more to complete. If you browse away from this page the download will continue in the background. Download in progress."

But as I said, nothing happens..

I hope that someone can help me.

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hy Martin,

For sure some of the reason is of most of you're problem will be coming from Windows XP and mostly from the PC you're using,why is this?Answer easy HP SIM is made to work on Proliant server(Hardware/Software:OS/Application),i am sure that is same answer you will get from HP.

PS: don't forget to apply you're point for every message in you're thread,there situated next to every message date and time as UNASSIGNED.

HAve a nice day!

Dan
Martin Stensland
Occasional Advisor

Hi Dan.

Thanks for the reply.

HP (in Norway) told me that there shouldn't be a problem running SIM on an XP computer.
They claimed SIM supported the OS, and that it would be OK to use it as a CMS.

The reason for using this computer as the SIM CMS, is because it's in my office, and not in the server room! ;o)

All our servers are dedicated to other tasks, so I didn't want to start installing software I don't know and "understand" on them.

Any further help is appreciated.

Thansk

Martin
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Hi Martin!

YOu should be able to run SIMS on XP. I am a little confused what you are trying to do with the PSP though. IF you are trying to open it on your SIMS station (your XP desktop) it probably won't work since they are only for servers. Is your VCRM also on your workstation? Maybe that should be set up on a true server somewhere.
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

In this document Quickspec HP SIM http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11824_div/11824_div.PDF
On page 6
''Minimum Hardware and Software Requirements for HP Systems Insight Manager
Windows Central Management Server''
Nothing is said about Windows XP and this document is the Word Wide release,it writen wich one is supported,no windows xp is present.

Hope this help.

Dan
Martin Stensland
Occasional Advisor

Hi guys.

Thanks for helping me!

Rancher:
Yes, VCRM is also on the XP workstation.
No, I'm not trying to open the PSP on it, but I'm trying to do the initial install (as described in the Installation Guide) from it. Maybe I misunderstood the Guide?
I thought that this Inital Installation was for installing the proper agents/apps on the target servers, before deploying other updates to them?

Dan:
If you look at page 7 in the .PDF you attached, Win XP SP 2 is listed as a supported OS.

Thanks again guys, for trying to help me.

Martin
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

ok
Rancher
Honored Contributor

So you have already downloaded the software from HP site into the VCRM catalog. It might be a trust or configuration issue.
GThrough SIMS, so into the VCRM and click on the Catalog tab. Then select Configure a component from the menu on the left. THis brings up all of the configurable components in the PSP's. I would configure the System Management homepage, HP Insight Management agents, and the version control agent. Only configure these on the PSP's that you will be deploying. These 3 should be done because this is where you can set up the specifics (like trusts) for your CIMS environment so the servers will communicate properly. After you do this, try an initial install. Make sure that you aren't trying to do the initial PSP install on your Sims server, which is your XP station and is not supported.
Martin Stensland
Occasional Advisor

Hi Rancher,

I tried what you said, but it did not help.

I have now installed HP SIM on a Windows 2003 SBS server instead, as the CMS.
But I get the same problem here!! :(

I tried to configure the components on this server as well, but it didn't help.

I still get the message : There are no configurable components in this Support Pack. And if I click Next, it says: Downloading the Support Pack to the CSM. Download in progress.
After that, nothing happens..

I don't know what to do.. I'm getting a bit desperate! ;o)

Thanks.

Martin
A. Edens
Frequent Advisor

Martin,

My setup is a bit different than yours as our PSP deployment is done through the RDP server, but this might help.

Unpack the PSP somewhere, it doesn't really matter where. For my purpose, C:\Temp

Under C:\Temp run setup.exe, select Local Host and then next.

At the top of the "select bundle filter" screen select the PSP you want to configure, and at the bottom of the screen, select "force all bundle updates".

I had a similar problem, where the machine I was trying to configure PSP from was up to date, thus no need show those components as available.

Hope it helps.