4630 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM 5.1 SP1 and storage devices.

Stu Pittwood
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM 5.1 SP1 and storage devices.

Hi all,

does anyone know of of a document explaining how to get SIM 5.1 to discover an EVA 6000?

Also, I have an MSL6060 which has all the correct SNMP community strings specified, but when I try to identify the device from SIM it tells me that it's not responding to SNMP?

Any help appreciated.

Stu Pittwood
3 REPLIES 3
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

Re: HP SIM 5.1 SP1 and storage devices.

Hi

HPS IM relies on SMI-S to discover storage devices.
Check the following doc to discover your EVA 6000 :
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/smisproviders/EVA_5.0.pdf
toubleshooting guide :
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/smisproviders/smis_troubleshooting.pdf

intro to SMI-S :
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/smisproviders/introsmis.pdf

The EVA will be discovered through the server running command view EVA which is used to manage the EVA. Command view has the SMI-S layer that HP SIM can leverage.

Simple HOW to :
On the command view server : Check users that have been configured for the EVA.
On the HP SIM server: Discover the server running command view. Configure a new WBEM user in option / protocols / global protocol settings to match the Command view user. Then run a identify on the server running command view. The EVA should now appear in HPSIM.

hope it helps.

fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Stu Pittwood
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the info Fred, that gives me somewhere to start.

Anyone any ideas on the MSL issue?

Thanks

Stu
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

This has been asked on this forum a few times so you might also want to search through the forum.
Check out things like wbemdisco and the in formation as regards configuring SMI-S users and access.

As regards the MSL, HPSIM should just use the same kind of SNMP Access as for a server. I don't have such a device but you may need to specifically allow the HPSIM Server access as an allowed host.