1748264 Members
3928 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM 5.1 SP1 creates massive amount of ORPHAN items

Renato Richina
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM 5.1 SP1 creates massive amount of ORPHAN items

Since i've upgraded from SIM 5.0 to 5.1 (and later to 5.1 SP1), I have at a regular time that many devices shown as ORPHAN devices.

Just now i've discovered, that from one day to another, SIM created 37 orphan devices (out of the 130 devices in total). All type of equipment is affected: Server, PC's, Notebooks, Printers...

The only solution I found here in the forum is to delete the orphans and let re-discover them. However i'm asking me, if all the manual data I set for the devices (contact persons...) are still available for the newly discovered devices afterwards.

Anyone has an idea, how to permanently fix this annoying problem as it did not exist in 5.0 or earlier.

Regards
Renato
4 REPLIES 4
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM 5.1 SP1 creates massive amount of ORPHAN items

Why is the device named 'orphan_nnn'?
A system described as an orphan system is a system for which HP Systems Insight Manager detects
that both the IP address and name have been re-allocated to another system. Occasionally, this
reallocation can happen through simultaneous DHCP address assignment changes and a system
re-name. However, the most common cause is from using drive imaging software, such as Altiris.
When imaging systems, a globally unique identifier is used by the Web Agents and HP Systems
Insight Manager for identification purposes. On Windows systems, this problem can be avoided
by deleting the registry key entry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Compaq\CIMAgent\GUID
from the registry before creating the image. For systems that have already been imaged, stop the
foundation agents, remove the key, and restart the agents. A re-discovery will correct the problem.
You need to delete any old 'ORPHAN' systems from the HP Systems Insight Manager system list.
Renato Richina
Frequent Advisor

Hi

Thanks for the info, however none of the devices has been imaged and ALL have fixed IP adresses.

So there is definifely another problem with SIM 5.1.

I know that I have to delete and rediscover them but it's anoying to enter all managed custom data evertime for each device...

Regards
Renato
My_HP_user

I am seeing the same problem with several systems. Not imaged - No reg key

This is a very annoying problem. I have seen several people searching for a solution but no real fix yet.
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Hey Kevin start a new thread ill help you out.

Dan