Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748227 Members
4442 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 5.1 Upgrade Process (DST and Upgrade Issue)

Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

HP SIM 5.1 Upgrade Process (DST and Upgrade Issue)

Many folks are upgrading to SIM 5.1 to address the DST compliance. Many customers have encountered issues with the upgrade to SIM 5.1 (fresh installs are not affected) from previous versions.

We have now root caused it we believe (still validating with some customers), but wanted to get the word out as soon as possible.

In SIM 5.1, we made a change to the installer to allow you to change during an upgrade the username/password that SIM was installed under originally. This functionality causes issues with the Account Lockout security policy.

Turns out the code will retry 10 times to get access to the db, then 'move on'.

For those trying a new upgrade of SIM 5.1, a workaround will be to disable the account lock out policy for the duration of the installation portion of SIM. Once it is installed, then you can reenable the policy. I think you could change the lockout to be say 15 and be okay (which typically is 3, 6, or 8) but haven't tried that yet.

Let me know if anyone still has the authentication issue after changing the security policy.

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
FRANK PRUSS
Advisor

Changing the lockout policy for the Domain at this government agency is not an option, even for 5 seconds.

Is there another solution?

I am not trying to change any db access usernames here. db Authentication is mixed mode so it is quite hard to imagine anything we are doing being denied access.

The upgrade is being run under the service account of the exisiting HPSIM.

The last HPSIM upgrade that we did barfed and we were told we should have used the HPSIM service account for the upgrade.

Now we upgrade with the HPSIM service account and it barfs anyway.

Based on past finger pointing by HP, during the upgrade we type our passwords out in Notepad and then cut and paste when the installer asks for them.

Also having the HPSIM service account as both Domain Admin and explictly a local Administrator account has not helped us in the slightest.

We still have the actual production HPSIM with tons of customizations to upgrade before Saturday night.

I'm not sure what more we can do.

I suppose just hope that the fixes for a broken upgrade (editing database.admin and database.props, mxinitconfig -a) will work for this one too. But we'd been hoping by now we'd have a recipe for a clean upgrade.
FRANK PRUSS
Advisor

It would also be good to have an explanation of why the steps you posted to help folks try to recover from a failed upgrade have been deleted from thread id 1091862.

Are there "unfortunate" side effects to those steps?

Are HP SIM installations that used them to recover now actually broken?

Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Sure, I removed it because it turned out to not be the root cause (to avoid further confusion). That issue was a documented issue with SQL Server, but it actually wasn't the root cause of the upgrade issue. By folks running 'mxinitconfig -a' after the fact, it sort of fixes the upgrade environment. The only known issue with the reinit is a problem with License Manager giving a HTTP 500 error.

It turns out that it doesn't matter if you change the credentials or not during the upgrade process. The way it was implemented was to read it out (to populate) and then update to pass in the new value. The "new" value doesn't get set correctly initially which causes the lockout condition, then it 'corrects' itself (provided your user account doesn't get locked out of course).

There is no 'patch' for this since it is in the core upgrade/install mechanism which requires a complete rebuild (which is in process and being validated).

The problem turns into a release timing issue of course (with the initial change being this Sunday of course for DST).

This was meant to be as close a 'workaround' as we can get on a short cycle. I understand that it might not be for everyone of course.

Hope this helps explain.
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

By the way, I'd like to know what you mean by 'barf'. I assume it was this issue, but if not....
Brandon Long
Advisor

My problems with the upgrade are related to components. WMI-Mapper install fails (services won't start, even though I am using the local administrator account).

Tried rebooting, and running the mapper install by itself, but still no go. Suggestions?
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Hi Darrin.

Can we expect a new version of HP SIM 5.1 in the coming days/weeks addresing this issue ?
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Yes, in the works.
NewKidd2
Frequent Advisor

Darrin, since you replied that the HPSIM patch addressing the issue described in this thread is "in the works"... this makes me wonder...,

1.) Will the upcoming patch be setup exclusively packaged to address the login authentication issues triggered during HPSIM upgrade? Or will it contain other fixes and patches as well. Maybe I am mistaken, but it seems to me that other HSPIM admins have reported additional problems related to the HPSIM ugprade.

2.) If the patch were to include other HPSIM fixes as well, will this help (in any fashion) those of us that have already upgraded their HPSIM boxes?

I look forward to your reply. Regards.

OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Hello Darrin.
I don't see any update about SIM 5.1 and the installation issue. Do you have any news ?
Regards.