Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP SIM 5.1 discovers servers as Serv_"Serial_Number"

Ken Marsden
Occasional Contributor

HP SIM 5.1 discovers servers as Serv_"Serial_Number"

We have just upgraded to SIM 5.1 and after the first auto-discovery process, a number of servers are discovered with and id that consists of "Serv_" and the serial number of the server. These servers are then flagged as disabled. If we delete the server from the database and perform a manual discovery, the server does not get discovered.

Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM 5.1 discovers servers as Serv_"Serial_Number"

Are these BladeSystem servers? And is it possible that they don't have an OS loaded on them yet? Is "Discover a blade when is iLO is discovered" enabled?
Ken Marsden
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP SIM 5.1 discovers servers as Serv_"Serial_Number"

These servers are ML350G4 and DL380G3.

JFREHEL
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP SIM 5.1 discovers servers as Serv_"Serial_Number"

I have the same problem as you and i am upgrading the ilo BIOS to last version, you must upgrade agents to last version too and the firmware of enclosure too.

You will not need to reboot yet.
Jeff Sherin
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP SIM 5.1 discovers servers as Serv_"Serial_Number"

I have the same problem as well. Newly added machines are showing up normally, and the Serv_serial number combo is also showing up, but is Disabled. Deleting both the valid name and the Serv_Serial number entries will remove them. But as soon as I add the machine names back in, within a day, the Serv_Serial number entries come back.

JanneG
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP SIM 5.1 discovers servers as Serv_"Serial_Number"

I'm having the same problem with a newly installed HP SIM 5.1 on a Windows 2003 server. The MP on the SIM server shows up correct, but all the managed HP DL365 servers are running RHEL4 and they show up twice, once with the Serv_xxxyyyzzz and once with the correct hostname. The MP connection is however on the Serv_xxxyyyzzz as shown in my attched bitmap.

Any suggestions on how to solve this annoyance?

BR,

/ Janne Gustafsson
Derek_56
Valued Contributor

Re: HP SIM 5.1 discovers servers as Serv_"Serial_Number"

Ken,

My new SIM implementation had the same issue when I cutover nodes from our old one. The root issue that we had was that we did have the "Discover a blade when is iLO is discovered" enabled. Even though these are not blades, SIM still behaved the same way. It was unable to get to the host systems for the discovered iLO's and added a record for them from the serial provided by the iLO. Ours weren't accessible due to network restrictions, undeployed servers, and newly decommissioned servers.
To resolve the issue, I've disabled the auto discover by iLO feature and removed the Serv_* records. This feature may still be desirable for some as it would alert you to new systems in the environment. Very handy in one like ours (3300+ nodes.)

Derek
Derek_56
Valued Contributor

Re: HP SIM 5.1 discovers servers as Serv_"Serial_Number"

Ken,

My new SIM implementation had the same issue when I cutover nodes from our old one. The root issue that we had was that we did have the "Discover a blade when is iLO is discovered" enabled. Even though these are not blades, SIM still behaved the same way. It was unable to get to the host systems for the discovered iLO's and added a record for them from the serial provided by the iLO. Ours weren't accessible due to network restrictions, undeployed servers, and newly decommissioned servers.
To resolve the issue, I've disabled the auto discover by iLO feature and removed the Serv_* records. This feature may still be desirable for some as it would alert you to new systems in the environment. Very handy in one like ours (3300+ nodes.)

Derek