1753899 Members
7672 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM 5.2 and discovery

HRT
Advisor

HP SIM 5.2 and discovery

I would like to set up the rest of the engineers in my team to be able to run discovery without adding them to the full administrative toolbox. On the one hand, the "What's new" section of SIM 5.2 says this:

"Users & authorizations

HP SIM allows for any user to be configured to have access to features like discovery, view audit logs, automatic event handling and more. In addition, there is a single setting to enable users to add or update security settings on HP SIM."

On the other hand, the Technical Reference Guide says this:

"You can only perform discovery if you have administrative rights."

When you look up administrative rights, it says:

"administrative rights user

A user who is authorized for the All Tools toolbox on all systems, including the Central Management Server. This type of user has been given special privileges to administer the HP SIM software."

Is it possible to grant people access to just the discovery process? I tried doing this by creating a new toolbox, but they keep getting a "user not authorized" error.
4 REPLIES 4
PierreParis
Advisor

Re: HP SIM 5.2 and discovery

Hi

In HPSIM 5.2sp2, you can create a custom toolbox and add to it the specific right called "Run HPSIM discovery" (located in HP SIM Tools group). Users assigned to that toolbox will be able to run discovery
HRT
Advisor

I already created an admin toolbox and did just that. The users in it, however, still get an unauthorized error until I add them to "All Tools"

Dave
mibo44

I had this same issue. I edited my toolbox and added 'System Automatic Discovery' from the Systems Administrator tools catagory, in addition to the 'run HP SIM Discovery' from the HP SIM Tools.
HRT
Advisor

Thanks, that did the trick! I didn't know there was a separate one for automatic discovery. I guess I could have also modified the XML file so Automatic isn't the first tab that is selected. Thanks again.

Dave