1752808 Members
6264 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 5.2 no product name

captmike
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM 5.2 no product name

I have 24 servers monitored and three HP servers will not show product name or OS type.

I have updated PSP to latest and no luck. Deleted server and readded with no luck. Two are 2003 Terminal servers and the other is a 2003 x64 server.

The x64 server has PSP 8.15 loaded and yet will not display any info.

My previous HP SIM 5.0 server did but it died and I recently loaded 5.2 on a Vista system.

All fire walls are off.

Any ideas?

Capt Mike
12 REPLIES 12
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Do you have SNMP correctly configured in both SIM and on the clients?

Nelson
captmike
Occasional Advisor

Yes as all the rest of the HP servers are identifed.
The only common denominator is X64 and the two Terminal Servers. I just checked our other X64 server and it also does not show any info about it.

So I have four servers out of 24 that will show product info. But the local home page on each does show the model number and OS.

I applied the hotfix but no change as of yet.

Capt Mike
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

We have many Citrix (Terminal) servers and they all show up correctly. I just checked our (very few) x64 servers (Windows 2003 R2 x64) and they do show up correctly as well. So I don't think it is anything specific with x64 or Terminal server - but perhaps something in your specific build on those servers.

Nelson
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Run an Identification task - that will tell you if it can get access.
A server can be identified by SNMP so you need that correctly configured as Nelson suggested.
Check what it's showing up as, Unmanaged means it cannot see any protocol to ID the server, Unknown means it's found a protocol but can't get enough info. to ID it.
I'd check firewalls on the server?
Also SNMP needs the HPSIM Server added as an allowed host with the correct community name - and they're case-sensitive.
mark q
Regular Advisor

I get exactly the same thing with some of my servers, I've re-run identify, deleted-readded etc and they will not be identified correctly.

This is something new because I had all of the systems identified correctly.
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

I would try to remove the HP Insight Agents and then reboot. Afterwards, reinstall the agents and reboot again and see if that fixes your issue.

If not, remove/reinstall SNMP and reconfigure.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Mark,
Something new since what? / when?
What's changed that's stopped things being ID'd properly?
captmike
Occasional Advisor

For me it was 5.2. Before when I was on 5.0 it worked fine..

Capt Mike
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

There's been no change in the discovery mechanism I'm aware of between 5 and 5.2.

If you move HPSIM to a different Server then you will need to change SNMP on the client servers to ensure the new server IP/Name is added as an allowed host. That's about the only change that's reqd. SNMP should be able to ID the server.

I'd check there's nothing in the server specific credentials on HPSIM that may be overriding things. And note community names are case-sensitive, so I'd recheck those..