Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753559 Members
6068 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 5.3 - New server classification standards?

Ben Hanson_1
Advisor

HP SIM 5.3 - New server classification standards?

Is anyone else seeing desktops classified as Servers by SIM 5.3?
9 REPLIES 9
MattLavallee2
Frequent Advisor

Yep, it started happening to us, too. I have to say that 5.3 (while markedly faster) seems to be pretty buggy.

We went back and separated those by model, then locked the values so that SIM doesn't keep overriding them everyday during discovery.

To top it off, there's no way to override this type of classification (as far as I know), because it's not using the SNMP rules.

Hanging tight with the manual override until a much-anticipated patch arrives.

-Matt
Ben Hanson_1
Advisor

Can someone out there with a 5.2 install run the following commands and post their output?

mxstm -l -n "Dell"
mxstm -l -n "Dell Client"
Ben Hanson_1
Advisor

Are we the only two having this issue? Is anyone having classification issues with HP systems, or is it just 3rd party desktops(Dell, etc)?
MattLavallee2
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ben --

It's definitely affecting all of our non-servers... they're being detected as Server with a subtype of x86 System, even though the model info, etc., is correct.

Compound this with the number of JBoss errors we've started getting this week, and I'm pretty sure that we'll be moving back to 5.2 SP2.

-Matt
MattLavallee2
Frequent Advisor

Hey Ben --

Good news. I found the offending configuration in SIM:
C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\config\identification\wbemstm\mxwmiwbemcollector.xml

This contains the map between WBEM properties and CIM identifications. Right near the end, there's an association that says any time SystemType is x86, it's a Server.

I'll be putting together my own fix today (and possibly over the weekend), but thought I'd give you the heads up in case you wanted to tackle it yourself.

-Matt
Ben Hanson_1
Advisor

I think you've nailed it. I just finished a 5.2 sp2 install, pulled that file and the "SystemType" WBEM(WMI) references don't exist. I'm testing changes to fix as well.

I've attached the 5.2SP2 version of this file.
Ben Hanson_1
Advisor

I added the following to my wbem file:

Desktop
x86System|Desktop
Dell

It appears that the matched value is a substring query, so you would only have to do 1 entry for each family of machines. Microsofts WMI browser is handy for finding what WBEM/WMI value a given model will return.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6430F853-1120-48DB-8CC5-F2ABDC3ED314
MattLavallee2
Frequent Advisor

I wish my solution were as simple: we have a number of HP notebooks, which no longer have product families in their model names (like the old "Omnmibook"). Now, they just report "8510w ()".

Vista added the (very helpful) PCSystemType attribute that does say "Mobile", but we still have 30-40 XP machines around.

So, I'm actually making an app that will let us manage these system types mappings ourselves. This is definitely something that SHOULD be in SIM alongside the SNMP "Manage System Types" that's in there now.

Send me a PM with your contact info and I'll pass it along when I'm done.

-Matt
Ben Hanson_1
Advisor

There are actually more issues here as well. Once I added my optiplex tag, optiplex boxes that were running Windows Server became desktops. I'm going to go back to the old version of this file and see if it reverts identification behavior to 5.2.

It sure would be nice if HP would chime in with some info on the Identification process, priorities etc.