Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748180 Members
4243 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM 5.3 - No events after database move

HP SIM 5.3 - No events after database move

I have had to move the SIM/MSDE database from the local machine to a SQL 2005 server. I followed the database move document,

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/management/hpsim/SQL2005_Move_HPSIM52.pdf

The DB move was successful however there have been no events in SIM since the software started using the new DB. Events recorded before the DB move are still visible.

Can anyone help determine why SIM has stopped recording events?
9 REPLIES 9
richard wallis
Advisor

Re: HP SIM 5.3 - No events after database move

Think I am having the same problem here too, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Richard,

I went through the process of raising this issue with the HP SIM Support team. After many weeks of sending logs and information to them they were unable to resolve the issue. In the end I took it upon myself to remove and then re-install SIM. During installation you are asked to enter the SQL server and instance name thus allowing the SIM installation process to create the SQL DB on the remote SQL server. This creates the DB with the correct permissions and settings. This fresh re-install meant that we had lost all of our historical SIM events but as we were not particularly concerned about this information the workaround was good for us.

Hope this helps.

Stephen
richard wallis
Advisor

Hi there Stephen, thanks for your post, not the news I was hoping to hear as we have near 500 devices to monitor! Suppose I have to open a support case with HP, I will update the case if the result is any different to yours.
DC_classic
Occasional Visitor

Hi all,

I have the same issue, I move from mssql 2008 R2SP2 Enterprise to 2008 R2SP2 Standard, following the official document.

HPSIM start successful but no new events is registered :(

I clear all the events table, but no change.

Some interesting logs : 

Caused by: java.sql.BatchUpdateException: Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'NoticePriority', table 'Insight_v50_0_144657998.dbo.notices'; column does not allow nulls.

Best regards,

DC

Ryan256
Advisor

Had the same issue and just ended up doing a clean install.  Wasn't very difficult to readd the devices as I exported the host list before hand.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello ,

Did you do a scan for the old servername? The database name is stored at least 3 or 4 times in several files in the config directory.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
DC_classic
Occasional Visitor

Did you do a scan for the old servername

Yep, i search for the dns name on all file, and i change it everywhere.

I make a rollback, and run on my old database server.

I wait for the 7.2.2 and prepare myself to install from scratch the soft again.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Just a small tip, export your objects by typing mxnode -ln > c:\nodes.txt. Certificate exports and import is not an option when upgrading from 7.1 to 7.2 due to the security update that creates new certificates.

A better option is to use a new server and use the old server to repair/ replicate the new certificate.

Good luck.

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
DC_classic
Occasional Visitor

Update 7.2.2

Migration of the database still doesnt show new events.