108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 5.3 SP1 hangs every 3 days

SOLVED
Go to solution
Roger Fredriksson

HP SIM 5.3 SP1 hangs every 3 days

Hi

The HP Insight Manager hangs every 3 days with SQL errors. Both the SQL server and HP SIM run on the same physical server with about 100 systems and on average 300 events. Having them on the same system isn├В┬┤t ideal, but it doesn├В┬┤t appear to be the cause of this particular problem.

I├В┬┤ve looked through the forum and found similar problems, but none seem applicable. I might have missed something though.

To me it looks to be an issue of HP SIM loosing contact with the SQL server for some reason.
I get error messages like
"java.sql.SQLException: Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection." and "shutting down due to SQL error, no db connections returned now" in mxdomainmgr logs.
I'm attaching a log of the event.

We do have NIC teaming on the server but since the SQL and SIM are on the same server I├В┬┤m hoping that isn't part of the cause.

The SQL server is using Windows Authentication mode.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor
Solution

Just a thought, not sure if it's relevant or not, but I've had a few issues with SIM 5.3 shutting down/restarting as well due to SQL Server not available.

In my case it happened to be the SQL DB maintenance schedule that was doing a backup which somehow made the database not accessible to SIM for a short time causing SIM to restart itself. I'm not exactly sure why this happened since I did not define the backup/maintenance settings on the SQL DB, but since they were removed that particular error's gone away.
Roger Fredriksson

That seems to be the problem.
I rechecked logs and it looks like there is a relation between the checkdb jobs and the HP SIM failing here as well. Not sure how I managed to miss it, but I'll disable the SQL job for a couple of days and see what happens.

But this would then mean that it isn't possible to schedule SQL maintenance jobs on SQLs hosting HP SIM databases?
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

I had the problem with it hanging also, but I couldn't link it to SQL. I think it was just bugging memory errors.

Also we had done so many in place upgrades we had a lot of junk in there it seems.

Installed 6.x on a new server, and haven't had issues there with SIM... have had other new funky issues (with RDP and VCRM) but SIM is now stable.
Roger Fredriksson

I must admit I'm pretty tempted to upgrade, especially if I need to have the SQL maintenance jobs disabled just to keep the SIM running.
It's been stable now for two days, hopefully it will keep working through tomorrow.
Thanks for the help, both of you, I appreciate it.
Roger Fredriksson

Sadly it would seem that the SIM still hangs after disabling all DB maintenance jobs. I've contacted HP, letting them have a look at it.