New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 5 Installation an MS SQL 2005

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1050774
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM 5 Installation an MS SQL 2005

Hello,

we want to install HP SIM 5 SP5 on our managment server and want to use our SQL Server 2005 which is running on an other machine.

The managment server is able to connect to the SQL Server. (I've created an empty database and created a system DSN - connectivity was established)

I tried to install HP SIM - the connectivity and DB check passed. When I had entered the domain admin credentials and the name of our database server HP SIM dis not show any databases or instances from the SQL 2005 Server.

System Configuration:

Database Server:
Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise
SQL 2005 SP1

Planed Management Server
Windows 2003 Standard

Any help will be apreciated
Robert
7 REPLIES 7
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Robert,

Please refer to page:464 of the following document which talks about restoring databases:

http://h10018.www1.hp.com:80/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/hpsim_userGuide.pdf

Hope this explains!!!!

Regards,
rmn
CA1050774
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

thx for your hint, but I've problems with a fresh install! I have no MSDE database - so backup and restore of a MSDE SQL database won't help.

My problem is, that HP SIM installation does not recognize my SQL 2005 on an other server.

Do I really have to use a MSDE on my managment server?

Regards
Robert
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Robert,

I am not sure about SQL Server 2005 Express Edition but I know that SIM 5 SP5 supports MSDE, SQL 2000, SQL 2005 and Oracle 9i.
If I was you then I would recommend to install the version of MSDE that is bundled with SIM.

Sometimes, while running Microsoft Windows 2000 Server or Microsoft Windows Server 2003 that are configured with HP Systems Insight Manager Version 5.0 (HP SIM), if the LAN Manager authentication is set to "Send NTLMv2 Response only/Refuse LM&NTLM," the HP SIM installer will not be able to connect to the Microsoft SQL Server.

So please verify settings on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 running SQL Database Server if you have not checked these:

1. Click Start -> Programs -> Administrative tools -> Local Security Policy. This will open the Local Security Policy window.
2. Click on Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security options. Viewing from the left panel to the right panel, all the policies are listed.
3. Check for the Network security LAN Manager Authentication level; by default it is not defined.

If the following entry is defined, verify that the entry is not set:
"Send NTLMv2 Response only\Refuse LM&NTLM."

4. If the entry "Send NTLMv2 Response only\Refuse LM&NTLM" is defined, change the value to:

"Send LM & NTLM response" or uncheck the checkbox "Define this policy settings."

5. Reboot the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 running SQL Database Server if the changes are complete.

Source of the above information from:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00578118&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Regards,
rmn
CA1050774
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I'm using SQL 2005 Standard Edition (not the Express). Mixed authentication (SQL/Windows). My user has domain admin rights and sa rights on the SQL server
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Robert,

Incase you did'nt check the reply after posting,
https://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1054058

SRH
CA1050774
Occasional Advisor

Ok ... HP SIM is installed

The input field "instance name" must not be filled if you have only a standard instance!

Master Database have to be selected - HP SIM creates a new database.

Thx for the help!
Rob
CA1050774
Occasional Advisor

Problem solved .. see my last post