Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752451 Members
6857 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM 5 sp3 upgrade from hp sim 4.2 problems (missing menu's and tools)

Rogier Boeken
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM 5 sp3 upgrade from hp sim 4.2 problems (missing menu's and tools)

hi

this is my 3rd attempt at upgrading hp sim 4.2 to hp sim 5 (this time sp3) and it has failed again (incomplete menu's, none of the settings copied accross etc)

i decided to completely remove HP sim and all its components, removed SQL server from the server and deleted all the databases, and start from scratch.

i installed ms sql 2000 with sp4.
ran the hp sim 5.0 sp3 installer and customised the settings to install the components on the D drive.

for some reason it seems to get certain settings from previous installs (for instance i was not asked during hte systems management home page to provide operating systems group, was not prompted about trusts, ip binding etc)

once the install had finished (successfully)i rebooted the server and the first time wizzard ran and i entered all the details and i received the following error

Tool not found. It is either invalid or no longer exists.

when i try to run a discovery task and i try to save the disovery i get the error The following error occurred:

The discovery task could not be saved.

also the pmp is still refering to unreachable licensed servers but ow can it remember this when i have deleted the pmp database (i deleted all the databases in fact including the master etc when i uninstalled sql)

from the attached screenshot you can see that i do not have all the menu options either.

i guess at this stage i have 3 options

1) go back to hp sim 4.2 (but i am not able to do pmp monitoring on the new proliant servers
2) install hp sim 5 on a different server which i currently don't have
3) find out how to completely remove hp sim from this current server including all its settings etc and install from scratch again and hopefull this time it will work as it should.

could anyone help me with solution no. 3 or let me know where i go wrong

many thanks in advance

rogier

4 REPLIES 4
Robert Lipping
Advisor

Re: HP SIM 5 sp3 upgrade from hp sim 4.2 problems (missing menu's and tools)

Hi Rogier

Incomplete menus might indicate lack of full admin access to the management server. If you have created groups, authorizations, etc in HPSIM4.2, perhaps your logon you're using to upgrade to v5 is in an operator-access-only type of group. Does your logon have full access to the HPSIM5 server?

Rob
Rogier Boeken
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rob

yes it has full admin access, i have installed hp sim 5.0 sp3 on a different Dell workstation running windows 2k3 with sp1 and it is working fine using the same account. (i am using the domain admin account on both hp sim servers)

what could the reason it displays the error message Tool not found. It is either invalid or no longer exists.

I have figured out why i was not prompted about operating system groups etc, this was because i had not uninstalled the HP systems management homepage. i did do this and tried a complete reinstall this time the install went as it should but i am still faced with the same problem, missing menu items etc and the first time run wizzard still has the same issues

i am getting very close to completely rebuilding the OS on this server to get this to work correctly although i have many other applications running on this box and i rather not if i can prevent it

rogier
steve chitty

Hi All,

I'm having the same problems after upgrading to SIM 5 SP4 from SIM 4.2.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but im still getting problems.

Has anyone a fix for this?

Cheers

Steve
frodo_1
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Had the same problem. I Solved it with logging in to HPSIM with a domain administrator account (with dbo sql permission).

regards
-frode