108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM 6.2 + ESX 4.1 - no email notifications

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tzajaczkowski

HP SIM 6.2 + ESX 4.1 - no email notifications

Hi All,

I have a working HP SIM 6.2 monitoring couple of Windows machines. Recently I have added an ESX server to it - agent installed ok, SNMP configured ok, SNMP polling and status checks works fine but I there are no emials sent whenever HP SIM detects status change on that server (disc missing in RAID array, PS missing etc.)

Are you able to advice what I missing? As described SNMP is working fine and all status changes are visible on HP SIM website but no emalis are sent. All Windows machines seems to be ok.

Regards,
Tomasz Zajaczkowski
8 REPLIES 8
jim goodman
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP SIM 6.2 + ESX 4.1 - no email notifications

Are you receiving any snmp events into SIM from the ESX Hosts?

If so - you need to look at your event handler and make sure the systems are included in the event handling task for emails.

If not - review the agent status, snmp connectivity, snmpd.conf, review any firewalls, etc.

Not really enough information to get specific, but if you start there perhaps you'll find the root of the problem.
Tzajaczkowski

HI Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

- There is no firewall between HP SIM and ESX host as this is a test environment.

- Yes, I can receive the SNMP as HP SIM can report it's current status and detect any problem (like missing disc or PS).

- Agent status is ok and I have set the Automatic Event Handling for All Status. -

- There is no problem in receiving emails from WBEM based Windows servers.

My snmpd.conf is shown below:
# Following entries were added by HP Insight Management Agents at
# Wed Dec 8 16:30:10 GMT 2010
dlmod cmaX /usr/lib64/libcmaX64.so
rwcommunity public 127.0.0.1
rwcommunity public HP_SIM-IP-address
rocommunity public HP_SIM-IP-address
rocommunity public 127.0.0.1
trapcommunity public
trapsink HP_SIM-IP-address

Regards,
Tomasz
jim goodman
Trusted Contributor

Well - you aren't getting email from the wbem servers you are getting them from SIM's event handling task.

3 things in the chain

1) Agents on the managed node and snmp configs

2) SIM receiving the event traps from agents on the managed node

3) SIM Auto Event Handling - what to do with the event when SIM receives it.

From your descrip it appears 1 and 2 are correct if you are receiving SNMP events into SIM, typically as uncleared events. If this is the case then it leaves you with #3. If you are getting traps for the WinSvrs and subsequent emails then the email config is correct so you have to now look at the task.

Are the ESX Hosts in the collection of systems in the auto event handling task?

If you have all of the above and the ESX nodes aren't suspended you will more than likely need to call support and get someone to review your environment with you. Unless someone else can pop in here with something more that didn't occur to me off the top of my head support will more than likely be your best bet.

Typically event handling is pretty straight forward. It is only discriminatory if you set it up to be so.
Tzajaczkowski

Hi,

I had a look into HP SIM once again and I think I know how it's happening, but still no idea why or how to fix it.

Event handling is ok and applies to All Servers where the box is listed.

I said HP SIM detects health status via SNMP fine but there are no events registered with let say RAID degradation or missing HP and that's the thing which triggers email notification - see screenshot attached.

If yes than my question is answered but I have no idea why neither how to fix it..

Any ideas?
Tomasz
SIT
Regular Advisor
Solution

Hi

I had the same pb with ESX4.1 (ok with all others serveurs)
By opening a case, the support give me the answer.
Follow the link ....
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1292003230102+28353475&threadId=1424686

Good Luck

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Check that SNMP is allowed out of the ESX firewall.
Tzajaczkowski

Thanks SIT. Info from the link provided allowed me to solve the issue.
Tzajaczkowski

SIT's link allowed me to solve the issue.