3820 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM 6.2 and ESXi 4.1

KEN_SYD
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM 6.2 and ESXi 4.1

Hi All,

After googling and reading for a while but I cannot manage to get my new DL 380 G7 register to HP SIM 6.2

DL 380 G7 was installed with HP_ESXi 4.1 update 1 installation iso which is included all HP drivers and HP CIM. From vclient, I can see all sensors under heath status.

However, after discovering, HP SIM show new server as unmanage system. HP SIM detect WBEM is running on the box but no serial, OS, hardware can be detected. root password has been entered to credential box.

Did I miss any step? What should I do to make HP SIM get all hardware details of new server?
Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
shocko
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM 6.2 and ESXi 4.1

what credentials have you configured to access the CIM providor information? You must specify appropriate credentials for the system in SIM. Also, ensure all ports are open. Might be worth checking/disabling firewalls to make sure they are nmot interfering
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
KEN_SYD
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for you reply shocko.
I'm sorry, but do you mean credential & firewall as attached images?
I'm a bit new to HP SIM, sorry about that.
KEN_SYD
Frequent Advisor

Anh this images.
Thanks.
shocko
Honored Contributor

Exactly. The idea is SIM in regards to credentials isa as follows:

- At a global level you set SNMP community strings and WBEM or SMI-S credentials to access your systems during identification.
- During identification, it tries these credentials against the discovered system and if any of them work, they are saved into the credentials list for that system and used again.

WBEM/CIM by default requires username/password or certificate based authentication and SNMP reuires community strings/traps/authorized managers.

If you need more detail ping me back ;)
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

Hi Ken. I have seen the same issue, and what we have tested to confirm the issue was to create a local user account on the ESX host. and then add that user account to be a member of the root group. I was then able to successfully discover and accurately inventory the hardware.

This is not the ideal solution, and we have engaged HP for a better solution, as this was not the same level of security that was present in ESXi 4.0.

Neal
KEN_SYD
Frequent Advisor

Thank you everyone.
Will try to see if it works.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You will also then need to subscribe the server to wbem events, otherwise you're only half way there.
You need to do this step otherwise if the ESXi host detects a HW error it will not send it anywhere.
HeatMizer
Occasional Visitor

What response or fix did you get from HP? We are having the same issue and do not want to use an account with such permissions as root.
ompee
Occasional Advisor