Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748233 Members
3384 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM 6.2 sending Cluster Monitor Status Change -Node alerts but nothing appears to be wrong

Alpha_1_1
Valued Contributor

HP SIM 6.2 sending Cluster Monitor Status Change -Node alerts but nothing appears to be wrong

Hi ,

I recently enabled the Clustering Information agents on two Microsoft Cluster nodes.The cluster hads been discovered in HP SIM ver 6.2 but I now get random messages from HP SIM saying Cluster Monitor Status Change -Node  System Resource  System status on node SERVERNAME of the cluster CLUSTERNAME became critical or Cluster Monitor Status Change -Node  disk Resource  System status on node SERVERNAME of the cluster CLUSTERNAME became critical  .

On checking the clsuter nodes all appears to be ok.The messages seem to be from the passive cluster node not the active node.

From what I can see its not as if the Cluster node is sending traps to HP SIM but HP SIM is polling Cluster resources and generating alerts.

I looged a call with HP but got the usual upgrade firmware, upgrade PSP and upgrade HP SIM .Then come back if the problem remains.Nobody could explain what these alerts mean and what causes them to be generated.Just the usual mantra of upgrade everything.The cluster nodes are up todate on firmware and are using PSP ver 8.60 just one revision behind the latest available.HP SIM is at ver 6.20 and the latest is ver 6.30

I have cleared the thresholds on the Management Agents in the Windows control panel tab for each node. In HP SIM I also increased the Cluster Resource Settings poll time to 10 minutes from the default of 5 minutes. I have done the same in the Cluster Monitor - Node Resource Settings.This was based on other threads I have seem with the same problem.

Since then I have only recieved one alert and that was slightly diffrerent from the others - Cluster Monitor Status Change - Cluster MSCS Resource - Device status on cluster CLUSTERNAME became critical

Its very frustrating getting alerts that are meaningless.

Has any body seen this problem and successfully resolved it. Can anyone explain what these error messages are supposed to mean.They are very vague.Am I correct in my belief its not traps generated by the Cluster nodes but an issue with HP SIM polling the Cluster resources.Are these type of alerts generated if the Cluster Resource does not respond to HP SIM within a specific timeframe

GTS I&O - "In the Server Room, no-one can hear you scream..."
8 REPLIES 8
hphwstel
Advisor

Re: HP SIM 6.2 sending Cluster Monitor Status Change -Node alerts but nothing appears to be wrong

Hi,

unfortunately no solution, but I am spammed as well by those messages,

What I found out so far is, that after one node logs this message, the cluster reports "system is reachable". The event appears without the usual "is unreachable" event before.

I have opened a thread but no response and there are some more and all are unresolved.

It seems, unless someone is lucky to have software support, HP doesn't care a bit about this annoying issue :(

Good Luck,

Daniela

TheGord
Advisor

I am having the same issue with an Exchange 2010 DAG...

CMX TEXT: System Resource: device status on node 'servername' of cluster 'DAG' became critical. 

SIM 6.3 and target servers have PSP8.70+ on them.

Anyone else with this that has a fix?

Thanks.

G.

jmquesadarivel
Frequent Advisor

same thing here wtih a Hyper-V cluster

Not cleared Cluster Monitor Status Change - Node srv-vhost1 3/16/12 6:14 PM

Not cleared System is reachable HyperCluster01 3/16/12 6:19 PM 

checked all windows logs but i came with nothing, from where is SIM getting this?

everything working ok

JQ

stonecutter0908

Seeing same thing here with Exchange 2010 DAG/cluster.

I haven't been able to find any tuning guidance online either. 

SIM monitoring the DAG is not adding any value. 

"My specific alerts are "CPU resource: Processor XX on node ServerX of ServerY crossed major threshold."

Buggsy
Advisor

Like the others said, there is no elegant solution for this. Myself, I ended up makeing a new task in the Auto Matic Event Handeling. That task basically clears all cluster resources notices and such, except for the msot basic up/down notices. I then tweaked the other tasks I had set up to report on Major/Critial issues. I added an exception to them to say all but the worthless cluster events. The result is getting only notices for an actual cluster node failure. You may want to scale back and get more info.

Attached are screen shots of couple of my tasks.

Thinking back, I may have actually gone in and modifide the MIBs with some of the culster events to be informational, and not Critical. I also removed the CPU and Disk Threasholds. We have better software for that.

Pootch
Frequent Advisor

change the cluster node thresholds.. the default settings are way too low.

Pootch
Frequent Advisor

which MIBs did u modify?

Pootch
Frequent Advisor

no Mibs haven been updated..

Options > Cluster Monitor > Node Resource Settings

Select the Cluster and adjust the thresholds.