Hi all!

I have following configuration:

CMS on VMWare virtual machine with windows 2008

HP SIM 7.2

IRSA 5.8

c7000+c3000 enclosures

with bl460c G8 inside

integrated and standalone brocade SAN switches

I have configured OA modules and blades ILOs to communicate with CMS via SNMP. When i send test alert from OA and iLO, i can see it in SIM and it is delivered to isee-amc.austin.hp.com/console.

But when i'm trying to create incident to log a service case, i have no success.

I was trying to pull out power cable from c7000, pull out power supply and fan with no success.

I can see event on HP SIM, but not on isee.

In Remote Support Configuration and Services->Insight Remote Support Service (Connectivity) Status  i can see that monitoring for my enclosures is green.

How can i check, that case will be created? Isn't it enough, that power supply was removed from enclosure?

4 REPLIES 4
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP SIM 7.2 + IRSA 5.8

Is this a new installation? I don't mean to cause you more work, but if you are just now deploying SIM 7.2 + IRSA, you might want to go right to SIM 7.3 + IRS 7.10 (on a different CMS).  If you have all Gen8 systems, and you do not have to monitor anything in the excluded support list for IRS 7.10, you will save yourself a lot of work later.

A test event from the OA's/blade iLO's should work, but it depends how you discovered them (should be via OA first, then iLOs, etc).  You should not have to remove anything to test a service event.  You may want to log into the SEA tool to see if the systems show up as warning entries, meaning something is missing (location information, serial numbers, etc).  Check the records in SIM to make sure all data is there - IP, serial number, host name, and location/contact details are there or the even may not get forwarded to HP properly.  The SEA tool (cmshostname:7906) will also show you a list of service events and if they failed for any reason.  Add yourself as the main email contact for SEA so you can see if there are ever any service event failures.  The IRSA tool will also show you if any of this data is missing (the actual entries would be red for RS data, or possibly not enabled/entitled).

vitekmo
Occasional Collector

Actually customer has P9500 also, which powered off for now. But will be used in future. And, as i now, IRS7 doesn't support it yet.

So, any event should be displayed by SEA? But i have checked it when replaced parts from enclosure, and there were no events. But, when i was generated test event from OA, there was "genericTrap", and it was "Delivered:ISEE".

LGentile
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Well, not ALL events will be shown by SEA, only those that HP decided should "phone home" to them - something they would need to take action on.  For example, an issue with software (BackupExec) will not generate an SEA event.  However, the test events do, at least the ones sent via iLO or OA and i believe SuperDome OA as well.

So, depending on the status, there may not be an SEA event.  There should be one for a failure of a component, but not one for a "good" status.  I don't know for sure if pulling a plug on a PSU will generate one.  Unfortunately, it does for standalone machines and I wish it wouldn't, because HP gets a lot of "AC power loss" events from our CMS and it's annoying since I have those SNMP events set to not generate internal tickets, yet HP still calls us.

Anyhow.. i can't remember what we did to test HW failure events, I think I just assumed if the test event worked, that communication all the way through SIM to HP was working.  I know it's working since we have an enclosure that generates a fan redundnancy event every so often (something fixed in firmware) and HP gets a new case each time.

vitekmo
Occasional Collector

Ok. As i have test alerts delivered to ISEE, i suppose it will work fine for real cases. Thank you for you answers.