Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753368 Members
4749 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

HP SIM 7.2 Unable to connect to database after a recent install (newbie to HP SIM)

NEone
Occasional Visitor

HP SIM 7.2 Unable to connect to database after a recent install (newbie to HP SIM)

Try to keep this as linear as possible.

We're going to be monitoring several c7000 chassis, each loaded with blades for a predominately ESX 5.1 environment with a dozen or so physical Windows 2012 builds.

I installed HP SIM 7.2 on Windows Server 2012 (Virtual) about 2 weeks back.

The HP SIM database is on a remote SQL server (Virtual, Windows 2012 with SQL 2012 Standard).

The SQL server has multiple IPs with a database instance assigned to each IP on a static port

The installation went without any issues. The installer connected and configured the database with the proper rights

I installed while using a dedicated domain account that is being used as the service account.

HP SIM was running fine after the install.

I pointed it to a c7000 enclosure to scan after configuring SNMP/user credentials. This went without issue as well.

A few days later I installed the 7.2.2 hotfix while logged on as a different account with admin rights on the server. It appeared to install but never rebooted/exited the installation.

I logged off and used the same account we installed with originally and did the run as administrator (UAC is enabled).

A reboot and HP SIM was running fine afterwards.

I attempted to use the HP SIM interface today and it would not load. I checked and the service was running and the SQL database instance was running.

There were error logs in the Windows application event log viewer starting yesterday. Restarting the HP SIM service ends up with the last event, the service remains running.

Log Name:      Application

Source:        HP Systems Insight Manager

Date:          11/13/2013 12:56:54 PM

Event ID:      3

Computer:      HPSim.ourdomain.com

Description:                                                                                                                   

Lost connection to database, exception: java.sql.SQLException: Unable to get information from SQL Server: OurDnsAliasToSQLServer. SQL=

Date:          11/13/2013 12:57:22 PM

Event ID:      2

Computer:      HPSim.ourdomain.com

Description:

Restarting MxDomainManager

Date:          11/13/2013 12:57:22 PM

Computer:      HPSim.ourdomain.com

Description:

Restart was Successful

Date:          11/13/2013 12:59:26 PM

Computer:      HPSim.ourdomain.com

Description:

com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error loading database verification handler 'com.hp.mx.database.MsSqlVerificationHandler'

com.hp.mx.database.DbVerificationException: Error accessing database

What I have tested and verified as of today.

The service account is not locked out.

The service account has not had the password changed.

Created a connection in ODBC Data Source Administrator to test connectivity from our HP SIM server to the SQL instance. This specified the service account, our static port and the DNS alias. Test was completed successfully.

From the HP SIM server, unable to connect remotely to the SQL server using SQL Server Management Studio.

Running "checksvc.exe" returns "Unable to connect to database. Check if database service is running."

The HP SIM server has been restarted.

The SQL instance for the HP SIM database has been restarted on the SQL server.

I did see a few postings/blobs about looking at the database.props file. The username, instance, port etc all match and appear to be correct values and formatted with no odd characters.

I'm quite new to HP SIM, so I'm looking for anything that might help. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
NEone
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP SIM 7.2 Unable to connect to database after a recent install (newbie to HP SIM)

Forgot to mention, I had contacted our DBA group and asked if they modified anything on the SQL side. They stated they had not.

After reviewing the mxdomainmgrX.log file there was this line repeated several times (identifying info removed).
14 Nov xx:xx:xx,707 INFO [STDOUT] Database initialization failed for URL: jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://OurSQLDnsAlias:OurStaticPort/Insight_v50_0_randomnumber;loginTimeout=20;domain=OurDomain;instance=OurSQLInstanceName Ex: java.sql.SQLException: Unable to get information from SQL Server: OurSQLDnsAlias.

I double checked the SQL server event logs and they had changed the SQL Server Browser service from Auto to Disabled about 3 hours prior to the HP SIM connection errors. I enabled the SQL Server Browser service and restarted the HP SIM service with no issues.

Lesson learned, I guess I can't trust what they say. Issue resolved...