New Discussion

Re: HP SIM 7.2 resource issues....

SOLVED
Go to solution
BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM 7.2 resource issues....

Hi folks,

We're suddenly noticing that the SIM process appears to have a memory leak(?) on our Win 2008 R2 VM. The VM itself has 8G of RAM available. Once we start up HP SIM, we've noticed a gradual increase in Commit memory from 1.3GB to 4GB+ over the course of a day or so. We have a relatively small environment being monitored by SIM ( approx 60 devices, IP's, etc. ) Additionally and perhaps a separate issue, we cannot connect to the management interface for almost 20 minutes upon restart, which seems a bit much.

Is this considered normal? Is there a fix/patch available for a known issue? I don't see anything in the 7.3 release notes that would alleviate this problem.

4 REPLIES 4
Brad Cunningham
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Is your SIM server patched with the latest updates for 7.2?

We have seen many of the perfomance issues do to the way 7.2 handles traps. In the SIM folder look for a folder called traps and see if there are a large number of xml's files.

If so applying the latest update for 7.2 should clear these out periodically

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply, Brad. I think you are on to something...

No, I haven't applied any updates since upgrading early last year. I'll download and apply the latest updates.

I'm seeing about 22K+ files in that folder, my assumption is that's too many. I'm also seeing a persistent IP address generating those traps, which is a separate issue that I'll need to deal with.

Again, much thanks for the advice!

BuddyD

Brad Cunningham
Trusted Contributor

I suspect these are authentication traps. If you only see a few offending nodes you can open the SNMP trap service on the nodes and go to the security tab and uncheck the send authentication trap box.

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

They're actually coming from our ASA where I had almost everything being reported. I've dialed the reporting way back, will apply the updates to SIM and see how we do.

Thanks again!