5612 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP SIM 7.3 and Xen Server 6.1

Srinivasan Ranganathan
Occasional Visitor

HP SIM 7.3 and Xen Server 6.1

Hi All,

i have a proliant DL380p Gen8 and have installed Xen  Server as the hypervisor. we have HP SIM as the monitoring tool to monitor the hardware. im new to both the environment and would need your help. following are things which have been done

1. installed HP SIM on a server and connected to a db.

2. installed the HP SNMP agent on the xen server

3. discovered the xen server on HP SIM using SNMP string.

4. accessed the Xen server URL from machine with :2381 ie https:\\x.x.x.x:2381 and did the following

added a line rocommunity Commname

rocommunity commname xx.xx.xx.xx

5. configured the default events of critical, high major and disabled and possible to send alerts to the requested email id.

when tried the send trap option from the URL the trap doesnt get captured on the HP SIM and hence not sure if monitoring is on or off. i would need your help and request you to advise.

5 REPLIES 5
Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP SIM 7.3 and Xen Server 6.1

It should be HPSIM 6.3 or 7.1

Enable the Option Accept All Event from Event Settings in Option tab.

HPSIM by default drops the ungeristed traps and test trap is one of them.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

cirociro
Occasional Contributor

HI,

i have the same issue. But flagging accept unregistered events on event filter settings in option/event has not effect. The send trap test continues to fail

regards

Srinivasan Ranganathan
Occasional Visitor

Hi yes you re right im using Xen Server 6.x and HP SIM 7.1 and sorry for the typo error on my original thread. the option you have mentioned is already being done and still trap doesnt hit on HPSIM

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Please use SNMPUtil.exe from Microsoft and run that on the CMS. This will clear the doubt if the Agent is sending the Trap or not.

The below command will start the trap reciever, and will show if there are any traps from the Xen Server.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/232663

On CMD: snmputil trap

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

cirociro
Occasional Contributor

HI,

i solved my issue.

First of all, check if you have net-snmp-utils rpm installed. if yes, you have a lot of utilities under /usr/bin. One of these is snmptrap. you can simply check send trap over the command snmptrap accordingly with the Managed Systems Configuration Guide.

example:

snmptrap -v 1 -c public [CMS Ip Address] .1.3.6.1.4.1.232 [Your XEN managed system Ip Address] 6 11003 1234 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0 s test .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.11.2.11.1.0 i 0 .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.11.2.8.1.0 s TEST

in my case this works!!!

Don't try with graphic interface SEND TRAP Button

bye