1752793 Members
6274 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP-SIM 7.3->7.4 Upgrade installation fails with SQL Server error

Kenneth Randell
Occasional Advisor

HP-SIM 7.3->7.4 Upgrade installation fails with SQL Server error

Have an existing HP-SIM 7.3 installation running with the SQL Express 2008 that came with it on Windows 2012 on a BL460c Gen8 blade.

I started the upgrade to 7.4; the installer detected my SQL Express 2008 installation as described in step 5 on page 53 of the 7.4 Installation and Configuration Guide.  The installer asked me the password, told me it would upgrade the existing database to SQL Server 2012 Express SP1, which ran for a short while and failed with the error:

SQL Server 2012 Express SP1 installation failed with the exit code: -2067919940

I am unable to find any reference to this error code.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
RubanSavvy
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP-SIM 7.3->7.4 Upgrade installation fails with SQL Server error

For HP SIM 7.4 Upgrade installation with SQL Server, you need SQL server 2008 R2 SP2 as a requirement.

Thanks

Ruban, ViSolve Inc. India

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

If you read the specs the 2012 is the only supported version for 7.4. That' a bit to soon in my opinion, see other post here.
I'd almost think HP should retina this new "strategy". But then again i don't work for HP. Did you also try a clean install?
Kind regards,

Andrew
Kenneth Randell
Occasional Advisor

I have not yet tried a clean installation.  I was attempting to avoid this as I have already spent a good amount of time customizing the SNMP event trap settings, MIB settings, setting up notification tasks for various customized hardware collections and the like.  If there were a supported way to export/import these myself I would do that, but I am not aware of any such supported methods.

I have tried the 'upgrade' installation several times after the original attempt with no further success.

I can afford to wait on this; I would like to think I'm not the only one in the world who has attempted this particular installation scenario; perhaps someone else will have better luck than I did.

Thanks for the reply.

kar

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

what exactly do you want do export? Is it the collections you've created?

Kind regards,

Andrew
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Look at the following URL: http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/cliguide5.pdf

Here look for the mxquery command.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kenneth Randell
Occasional Advisor

Hello -

Thanks for the reference, but I am not sure this is what I'm after.

Re-creating the collections is fairly simple.  Re-creating my custom event groups is also pretty simple.

What I'd like to export are the nodes, users (w/permissions& roles) and customized mib definitions.  I'm not aware of any supported way to do this.

kar

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

You can use mxnode -ln > C:\export.txt for exporting your objects.
Then use this list to upload your objects to the new setup.
Kind regards,

Andrew
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

I could be wrong here, but if i remember correctly, each SIM update includes a MIB update so there is a chance the upgrade will reset anything you've changed as far as severities, filtering, etc.  Basically, the MIB file is replaced/updated and imported again so I believe the changes are lost.

I only mention this in case this was your main reason for not trying a clean install - in other words, it may not matter.

I recently upgraded to 7.4 but haven't checked to see what got reset just yet as mine isn't in full production.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Correct,

If you look at : http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/mibkit.html

You can see the mib updates are contained in releases, patches and mib updates. So every change you make to a MIB gets overwritten bij the above patches.

Kind regards,

Andrew