Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752577 Members
4071 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM 7.3 - no support for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard/Enterprise R2 SP2 (64–bit) ?

smamm
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM 7.3 - no support for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard/Enterprise R2 SP2 (64–bit) ?

I'm going to be performing a new install of SIM 7.3 next week and noticed that the 7.3 Install/Configure guide doesn't list 

the 64 bit version of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard/Enterprise R2 SP2 as supported.

It does list the 32 bit version, but not 64-bit.

Has anyone tries this anyway?    Go ahead and take a guess about which version is the standard at my company!

4 REPLIES 4
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM 7.3 - no support for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard/Enterprise R2 SP2 (64–bit) ?

Hello there,

We once installed the 6.3 version on a SQL 2008 R2 and it did work. Just run the installer and find out. If the version of SQL is not supported the installer won't let you proceed with the installation.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Please go ahead, you will prompted with a warning ignore that and continue.

We have not faced any issue in this.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

smamm
Occasional Advisor

I've tried to proceed with the install, but no luck.

Server:  Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 

Remote Database Server:    SQL 2008 R2 SP2 64 bit

I've confirmed that an existing (new) database has been created for SIM and our service account has been granted dbo and sa rights on it.

When going through the database configuration portion of the installer, I select "Use SQL/SQL Express", set the host name to the remote server, select "Use this one" (instead of Use Existing) for the Instance and input the database name "SIM_v7".   The port is standard 1433.

I can telnet to that host/port without problem when logged on with the relevant service account.    I can also test a connection via ODBC and see the database on the list (it's a shared database server).

When trying to connect, I receive this error:   "Unable to connect to the specified database.  Please check the Host, Database and Port values provided."

Any ideas?    Our "old" SIM server can connect to a database on this same shared SQL server, so it seems unlikely to be an issue with a 64 bit instance (like previously stated).

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the "Instance" field.   Does the SIM installer want to create a new database on the default SQL instance and not let an existing database be utilized?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello there,

Please give the user sysadmin rights on the instance that should do the trick. The installer will create a database called insight50........

The sysadmin rights can be reduced to db owner on the just created database after the setup finishes. These rights need to be set again when updating a SIM installation, not a hotfix where you only install patches to the exec files.

The instance name is not the database-marketing you created, how to vind your instance name :

MS SQL Server 2005/2008

1. Launch the SQL Server Configuration Manager. To do this, go to Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server > Configuration Tools.

2. Locate the running MS SQL Server instance name .

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew