1748089 Members
5157 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 7.4 & ILO2 error

MBSJ
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM 7.4 & ILO2 error

I'm fairly new to HP SIM and trying to add all our HP hardware into the SIM. Most of it works fine but I am having trouble adding two older serverens with a iLO2 controllers.

I have added the server credentials and according to the log SIM can log in just fine using SSH. However, when running the discovery process the following error is displayed:

********* Significant issues and overall target discovery/identification
Major:    The system cannot be identified properly for HP SIM to manage;
          unable to get one or more of the following: model, serial number or
          unique identifier (UUID). For management processors, verify the
          system is running the latest firmware. For Linux based operating
          systems, you must have dmidecode installed, enable the
          PermitRootLogin and PasswordAuthentication in sshd, and use root
          sign-in credential. For HP-UX, verify the sign-in credential. For
          Windows, check if WMIMapper is configured correctly on the CMS and
          verify the sign-in credential.
Critical: The system(s) can not be identified by WBEM, SNMP or SSH

I have tried manually setting the SSO trust using both cert and host name, adding the servername and cert to the iLO but with no luck.

I am sort of out of ideas so any help would be appreciated. For reference I have attached the full discovery log.

Thanks in advance.

18 REPLIES 18
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

did you add the Public SNMP community? Can you connect using HTTP and HTTPS?

Kind regards,

Andrew
MBSJ
Occasional Advisor

Hi Andrew

Yes i added the public community, tried both with and without a capital P. I am able to connect just fine using HTTP and HTTPS and i have upgraded the firmware to the latest version using tge web interface.
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Did you install the latest hotfix of november? I've read a lot of people have problems with ILO2 but all looks fine here with the 7.4 version and the hotfix. Are the SIM server and ILOs separated by a firewall?
Kind regards,

Andrew
MBSJ
Occasional Advisor

Yes I have installed the latest hotfix. After searching for a solution i read the same thing and I made sure the iLO firmware and SIM was the latest version.
One iLO is behind a firewall and a site-to-site VPN tunnel but all traffic is forwarded and we have no trouble with any other servers or services. The other is the same network as the SIM server so that one at least should have no problems.
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

When i look at the log i see that SSH works, is the name/ip of a server? If so you try to discover the IP of the ILO instead. Can you confirm that you are discovering a server instead of an ILO?
Kind regards,

Andrew
MBSJ
Occasional Advisor

The server denies SSH logins but just to be sure I have double-checked and the IP is of the iLO and not the server. 

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

From your logfile :

Running SSH Protocol identification...

Normal: This system has SSH protocol support. * Running SSH Identification...

Normal: The system can be logged in using SSH protocol; has a valid SSH credential. 

So if you look at the object you discovered i bet you see credentials in the second tab.

the protocol that you see would be Ssh, nothing other because the credentials you have in SIM don't work.

Kind regards,

Andrew
MBSJ
Occasional Advisor

Im not sure I understand. The log states that SIM logs in using SSH just fine. The credentials used are the same as the HTTPS login which also works fine. Are there supposed to be any other credentials?
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

When i discover an ILO all i need is snmp credentials and a https response. The credentials for snmp should be Public. Ssh is not required.

Kind regards,

Andrew