1752577 Members
4170 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM 7.4 doesn't detect agent software status

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Where did you assign the baseline in SIM or the VCA on the servers. If the VCRM looked good, did it also update to SIM  under the baselines? Menu option Deploy> Software firmware baselines> Manage Software/firmware baselines.

Kind regards,

Andrew
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

I originally slected the support pack in the VCA.  But I have since used Deploy Software/Firmware Baselines / both Manage Baselines and Track Versions - assigned, unassigned, reassigned, Options / Data Collection and Software Status polling.  In VCRM I deleted the "invalid support packs", and assigned servers to the good remaining support packs.  That's PSP 8.70 for the 2003 servers, and SPP 2014.09 for the 2008 servers.

Do these servers need a current SSH running?  They mostly have what I think is an old version, maybe from the old SIM, some have it listed in the VCA, some don't; some don't have it installed.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

No SSH  is not mandetory, recent snmp agent and template would be a a good idea. That is if the hardware also is recent.

Kind regards,

Andrew
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

The SNMP agent is the Windows Install Feature SNMP, and then whatever updates the Windows System Update Server puts on it. What do you mean "template"?  The servers are a range of Proliant DL320's and 350's, mostly G5 and some G6, 7, and 8.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

The template is a unix package, if you only have Windows servers you need the snmp managent agents and the Windows SNMP. The SNMP needs to be configuredfor the localhost and SIM server. Also configure the SNMP  trap desgination as the sim servernaam or IP.

Kind regards,

Andrew
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

The managed server has a HP Insight Management Agent and a HP Insight Management WBEM Provider.  SNMP Service has the CMS name or IP in trap destination and security.  These are all working quite well still for the VCA to be communicating with the VCRM.  I understand the VCA will be going away, so I'm trying to get SIM working with its baselines, and so far it's just a puzzle thatj's not together.   

MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

The problem seems to be SIM in version 7.4 is supposed to replace VCA, but whatever it is doing different is not working.  It gives me a "? - Unknown" for Software Status for every server.  But I run the Version Control Agent, either directly on the managed server, or within System Management Homepage run from the CMS.  The installation guide says you must configure the Baselines.  I've done that.   I can assign and unassign and reassign servers to the Baseline.  The guide says run Configure and Repair Agents.  For the VCA installation that fails.  But what then?  What is SIM doing now different from prefious versions, where the same Configure and Repair VCA installation would succeed?  I'll attach a document of screenshots and further notes.    

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

When i look at the VCA the SPP does not look complete. Does the VCRM Look good? You seem to be missing parts. Also the Datasource on the System Management Homepage is WBEM, you could try to set it to SNMP. You can set this in setting in the SMH under settings and then choose the datasource. The system you show is a G5 server. Depending on your OS you should not use the latest wbem provider. But one of the most strange things that i see is that the VCA does not show all components contained in the SPP.

Could you post a screenshot of your baselines in the VCRM?
Kind regards,

Andrew
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

When i look at the last past of the attached doc, i see an error replicating settings. Where the logs says that the destination can not be the same or CMS server. Please set one server with the right settings by hand. Then let this be your source server and select the same OS server types be the destination. So configure a 2003 32bits server to be the source for all 2003 32bits servers and 2008 for all Windows 2008 servers etc...
Kind regards,

Andrew
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

In SIM now Manage Baselines gives me the error in the attached doc; event though the SMH on the SIM/VCRM server, and SMH on other ervers, seem to be communicating with the VCRM.  More puzzlilng by the day.