1753451 Members
6143 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM, ESX, and Virtual Machines

MToddC
Occasional Contributor

HP SIM, ESX, and Virtual Machines

I am running HP SIM 5.2 w/ SP1. I have the ESX agents installed and I am using WBEM to pull information off of the hosts and sessions. I have selected the option selected to automatically discover VM guest(s) when the host is identified.

The problem I am running into is I have a lot of virtual desktops running on some of my hosts. HP SIM is pulling the correct OS but is listing them as servers instead of desktops. I was wondering if there is a way to have them automatically assigned a system type of desktop instead of server.

I am trying to keep it from being confusing on reports since they will show desktops as servers.

I know I can just modify all the default collections to remove devices with XP as an OS. I am hoping for an easier resolution.

Thanks ahead of time,
MToddC
3 REPLIES 3
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

Hi If i understand you correct you want all your VM type to be Desktop in place of server?

Go to Option->System Properties->Set System Properties
Add your all Server which you wanna change.
(Or If you go all system and select all your thse systems and then goto Set system properties page all will come there automatically)
Upder Product Description Select the "System Type" and select "Desktop" from list box.
Then Click Run now.

Done! see all set to type as Desktop.

Thanks, AJ
Change_happens
Honored Contributor

hey! your problem got solved? did u get it?
MToddC
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.

The desktop sessions are created and deleted on a daily basis for testing. So when the daily device identification runs on the host, I will get new devices. I would have to modify the properties on a daily basis.

I know I can remove the host from the daily deviced ID task. I just would like all hardware to get a daily ID task to make sure changes are seen.

I have found a workaround of modifying the default device collections and removed devices with a OS that contains XP. I would have rather not approached it this way.

If anyone can suggest a better way to approach this, I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MToddC