1753775 Members
7558 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM Generating False Alerts--HELP

Farzand A. Khan
Occasional Advisor

HP SIM Generating False Alerts--HELP

In our enviroment we are running HP SIM 5.3. We get alot of false alerts saying that the system is not reacheable. It can happen anytime and it has brought our confidence down as far as how much to trust HP SIM. I have gotten alerts in the middle of the night saying that the Domain controller is not reachable; come to find out its just a false alert. The fear is one day a critical server might be unreachable for real and someone will ignore it thinking its just anoter false alert.

I can see that majority of the false alerts are in related to iLO. Saying that the iLO are not reachable. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

this could be due to network blips, do the occurrences coincide with any network maint work ? if you ping any of the ilo's for any prolonged period of time - say 10 mins do you get variations in response time every now and again. there may be routing issues in the network ? anything else running on/to the hp sim server that might hog network bandwidth to it like network based backups.
you can adjust the timeout figure up a bit (default i think is 5 secs) and the number of retries to get round any latency issues.

hth

Farzand A. Khan
Occasional Advisor

I will check the variation in the ping response and let you know. I have increased the number of retries and the prolonged the time before to get a response.Thank you for your response.
Farzand A. Khan
Occasional Advisor

There is no variantion when pinged. I alwas get a response back. Is there a way I can turn off the settings for Management Processor i-e iLO??
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

you can certainly redo your event handlers to exclude your rilo's. it still does'nt deal with your basic issue though. see if there is anything running on the hp sim server at these times, i'd double check with your network guys whether any changes were being made to the network at all including firewall.

hth

Mark Dale_3
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,

Was there a resolution to this issue?

I have been experiencing the same. I get many false "System is unreachable" alerts from iLO's but not servers.

There are no network issues or work going on. If there were I'd expect alerts to be generated for the servers too.

Any pointers very welcome.

Cheers