Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752839 Members
3463 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM - How to monitor a device? SNMP or WBEM?

J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

HP SIM - How to monitor a device? SNMP or WBEM?

Hi All,

I learned that if i have HP SIM server (CMS) in place then to get a particular device into HP SIM monitoring, i need to have 3 things in place:

1. Local admin credentials (user name & password) of that device by which CMS will discover it

2. Some ports(listed on online HP docs) should be open

and

3. SNMP service should be enabled and configured on that device to send traps to CMS.

Do i really need to have any other stuff enabled/configured on that device to get it into HP SIM monitoring....like WBEM/WMI etc?

12 REPLIES 12
shocko
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You don't need admin credentials on target devices if using SNMP, just need common read community names and CMS listed as trusted in the 'accept traps list' and list as a destination to send traps to. The difference between WBEM/SNMP are well documented in other threads on these boards.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Sander-A
Advisor

SNMP is definately the easier way to go. You only need the server agents installed and point the snmp traps/access to your SIM server.

The one downside I have found is that snmp agents on my cms server for some reason stop listening for traps after a while and I need to cycle the service from time to time.

WBEM is more secure, but is harder to setup and much messier from a networking perspective if you're in a locked down environment.

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

To Discover a Devcie in HPSIM, HP SIM uses SSH (rarely), WBEM and SNMP etc.

Now to your question:

1. Local admin credentials (user name & password) of that device by which CMS will discover it

[Tushar] A device can be discovered fully using SNMP, in this case there is no need for credentials. Only HP SNMP Agents must be installed (SPP/ PSP) on the target node. With the introduction G8 Server it is possible even without SPP.

In Case of WBEM / WMI which is a secure protocol it needs Credentials for authentication, but can run with least priviliges (no need for Administrator or root privileges).

2. Some ports(listed on online HP docs) should be open:

[Tushar]: For SNMP it is 161 and 162 by default.

3. SNMP service should be enabled and configured on that device to send traps to CMS.

Thats correct.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

Thanks Sander-A
Thanks Tushar

Can you please list what ALL protocols(SNMP/WBEM/SSH/OpenSSH etc.) one need to configure on a device (assuming all supported OS/Hardware/Storage etc is suposed to be managed - As in my case) to manage/monitor it fully using HP SIM?

Regards
Sander-A
Advisor

You only need snmp configured with the ports Tushar listed and the community strings need to match on the SIM server and the client.

You can test it using an snmp utility such as Paessler SNMP Tester. If it can read from the host it should be good for SIM.

J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

Thanks Sander....
This clears that ONLY SNMP needs to be configured on the device(server/storage/networking device) we want to monitor/manage fully using HP SIM

Can one get into a situation where WBEM or any other protocol is only the option left?
Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

WBEM is the prefered protocol in HPSIM. WBEM is capable of giving more data as compared to SNMP.

But SNMP again based on its implementation that is UDP and connectionless.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

Does it mean that one need to have "both" SNMP & WBEM configured and enabled on the devices one want to manage using HP SIM?

Regards
shocko
Honored Contributor

SNMP and WBEM are mutually exclusive. You can use one or the other or both. For windows systems later then G7, the WMI providers are quite fully featured but for older systems, I use the SNMP agents as they have better alerting capabilities in my opinion. Also, in secure environments WBEM might be preferable as it can be encrypted whereas SNMP is plaintext and would relay on IPSEC for encryption.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)