4768 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM Installation/Remote SQL Issues

A. Edens
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM Installation/Remote SQL Issues

All,

While attempting a new install of SIM I am running into a problem with remote SQL Server.

The SIM installer states that it is attempting to use port TCP/1433 to contact the remote database.

Doing a packet trace with Wireshark however, reveals that the installer is really trying to contact the SQL Server using UDP/1434.

I have run into this problem a few other times, and solved it by installing a local copy of SQL Server, or using a SQL Server that had dynamic ports enabled.

Unfortunetly, we are not able to use dynamic ports on our production SQL Server and I really don't want to have to install a stand alone copy of SQL Server after spending 10's of thousands of dollars on a production level SQL cluster.

Does anyone have an idea how to make the SIM installer communicate on the proper port of TCP/1433?

Thanks in advance for any help.
2 REPLIES 2
Andrew_Read
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP SIM Installation/Remote SQL Issues

I beleive 1434 is used for discovery of SQL Servers, not for the normal client/server transfers.
Are you blocking 1434 (maybe for historical "slammer" reasons)?

Andrew
A. Edens
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP SIM Installation/Remote SQL Issues

Thanks for the reply Andrew.

I think you are correct on port 1434. It should not be moving data on that port.

The SIM server and the SQL server are sitting in the same subnet with no routers/firewalls between them. The firewall service on both servers is off.

In the past when I had this problem, enabling the dynamic ports on SQL Server would fix the problem. I kicked the users out and tried that this morning. It didn't work.

I am confused. :)

Plan B is to install SIM with the local MSDE and then migrate it to SQL 2005.