3701 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM Installation - SQL Problem

Daniel Smith_7
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM Installation - SQL Problem

Hi,

I've got as far as the database configuration page but everytime i try to connect to a SQL2000 database I've setup on a remote server I get an "insufficient permissions" error message. The account is dbowner on the database and member of the System Administrators server role.

running sql trace I can see that the account can login and is trying to run:

IF PERMISSIONS()&1=1 SELECT 1 ELSE SELECT 0

I'm not a sql expert (running a trace is about my limit) so I was wondering if someone could tell me what specific permissions the install requires in order to get it to work?

Thanks

Dan
8 REPLIES 8
Dominik Meier
Occasional Advisor

I have exactly the same problem. When I select the master DB the installation go on without any Error Message.

Maybe the SIM installation create its own database?

Maybe you have now a solution for this problem?
JAMES DRYFOOS

I am having the same problem. The install docs don't seem to cover this, but what I have concluded is that you cannot pre-create the DB and then give HP Sim a DB-Owner account. HP SIM wants to create the DB and therefore needs an account that has appropriate access to "master" to do so. Of course, using "sa" works, but this is undesirable for a number of reasons - including fact that HP SIM then continues to use whatever account you indicate for future operations. I am not an SQL person, but think need setup an account that has just enough access to create the DB (did I mention you cannot specify the DB name either?) and once all is done, limit the permissions to what is needed going forward? Perhaps someone can provide information as to what is needed during initial install, and then what is needed going forward? Or perhaps, there is a different way to get around this?

Thanks, Jim
(VJ)
Advisor

Hi All

A while back I had exactly the same problem when setting up my HP SIM 5 SP5 Server to run on SQL Server.

As it turns out if you accept all default database settings the installation process will NOT use master DB, it will create new DB with following name "Insight_v50_0_xxxxxxxxx" where x is a timestamp when the database was created.

As for the account used I alwasy specify same account that the HP SIM is using to start up all services. That account is also used to communicate with all clients reporting to HP SIM so I would suggest that account to be Domain Account with Administrator privileges on all member servers.

Cheers
VJ
Dominik Meier
Occasional Advisor

After a long time of testing i used to install it "into the master DB" with the SA Account. Its the only way it works.
After the installation HP SIM uses his own DB an it own username/password.
I think the installtion need to know the master DB an SA Account to install HP SIM automaticly.

Dan

Is your SQL Server in mixed mode or SQL Authentication only? If SQL Authentication only then only SA or other acounts set up will work, if in mixed mode you can specify what account to log in with.

Michael
JL123
Frequent Advisor

Is there any way to be able to reinstall SIM onto an existing database? I.e. we have an extremely old SIM server, we want to install it on a new blade server, but point to the existing database?
Aravindh Rajaram
Honored Contributor

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Yes Please, is there any HP SIM install with SQL Serve as the database ?
Best regards,