1753837 Members
9368 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM Installation

Jason Brown
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM Installation

Hi, I have a new HP Proliant server. I have loaded the HP SIM and run the First Time Wizard and a discovery and I can see the HP devices on our network, including new PC's, Laptops & printer. What do I need to load on the PC's & laptops in order for me to manage them via HP SIM. For example, I can see a HP nx7400 Notebook, but the HP SIMS reports this as unmanaged.
5 REPLIES 5
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Jason,

Communication between CMS and managed nodes(in this case Desktops/Laptops)is via SNMP since there is no Management agents.
Check if SNMP(services.msc) is installed and configured on the Desktop/laptop?

SRH
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

HI,

SIM is designed more for Server monitoring. If you would like to monitor PC's & laptops you could check out this option

http://www.altiris.com/Products/ConnectorHPSIM.aspx

Albert
Jason Brown
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sandeep, The SNMP service is running on the notebook. There is also a SNMP Trap Service which is running. Do I need to change any of the defaults?

Many thanks
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Under SNMP Service Properties -> Traps -> Check for Community Name(generally public) and Trap Destination should be either the CMS Ip or the DNS name.

SRH
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

In SNMP on the laptop, check that the HPSIM Server is added to the Allow Hosts access.
Community names need to be the same at both ends. Not an issue unless you change from the default public and private community names.